Winging It!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep!! Wasn't ready on the weekend but should be ready by next weekend(Easter)! It is still fermenting but slowing down a little. sg at 1.010. I have super kleer, isinglass and chitosan. Which should I use for clearing? I have not added campden yet. I also have potassium sorbate and bentonite. Should I add any or all of the above?

I would add the campden and sorbate once the Sg is stable for 3 days below 1.000. I would then degas really well and add SuperKleer and hen wait 2 weeks for that to clear and compact. I would then rack off the sediment and bulk age for a while and then. Sometimes I sweeten back before adding fining agent if what i am going to use may cloud it up and sometimes I just sweeten back after some bulk aging to see where the taste will be and then sweeten back and if it clouds up a little let it sit a little while longer and clear on its own and then bottle after adding some more k-meta to preserve it.

smiley1.gif
Just about there. Down to 1.002 and perking slowly. Been a long process. I started this 2/12/08 and have been very patient! (for me)

smiley12.gif
Still fermenting very slow. Airlock moves about once every 20 seconds. sg is 1.00. and doesn't seem to be changing. Is it Ok to rack it and stabilize now?

Hey Barney. You have been very good with the patience. You are getting really close there. But..... If that darn airlock is still bubbling every 20 seconds and you are at 1.000 -.... it's still not quite done!
smiley29.gif
You could rack and stabilize, butit would be safer to wait- another week! NOOOO! Not more patience! It would be best to try to get to 0.995.

This sure is a slow one. I bet it will be good.Edited by: appleman

That's no fair! You edited it!
smiley36.gif
OK I'll keep waiting. It is still at a steady 75*

I think I can call this my "energizer wine"! It just keeps going and going!!
Still going!
smiley36.gif

The sg is now down below 1.000 and has been for a while I think tomorrow I will degass it and stabilize it. The airlock is still rising about every 35 seconds and the way it is going I think it will keep going until August!! I started a batch using the Old Orchard grape concentrate and WOW is it ever fermenting vigorously! Creating heat so the temp is up to 79 degrees without any external help! I will learn from my mistakes on the orange pineapple apple!

smiley4.gif
I can't believe how clear this got. I guess the wait was worth while. It is crystal clear and has a good taste already. It will need a little sweetening but I will let it bulk age for awhile. I will rack it in a couple of weeks!

That iscoming along great Barney. This has been a stubborn one, but a lot of the times those are the best ones. Not quite clear yet but getting very close. I can't quite make out the OSB behind it yet.

Latest posts

Back