WineXpert winexpert, white zin

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mico1984

Hello everyone!
Reaction score
I just finish drinking my first batch, 30 bottles over 45 days. Some of the bottles tasted more acidic, some sweeter, some stronger, some weaker. I’m just curious as of why wine from the same batch, bottled at the same time with the same corks, kept in the same place would taste so differently. Winexpert, white-zin kit.

The only thing I can really make sense of your wine being different from bottle to bottle is that it was bottled to early and never really got to become a stable wine. I would really think that it is what you are perceiving it as with different tastes in your mouth though. Lots of wines will taste different when eaten with different foods and that is the whole purpose for food/wine pairing. This I believe is truly what is going on and why when you are at a wine tasting so cleanse your palette between different wines.

I'm guessing that those 45 days were the first 45 days after bottling. Right? Wrong?

If right...

bottle shock - wines change over the first couple of weeks after bottling. I try to let them sit for a full month MINIMUM before drinking. Well maybe not with mist wines.

BTW, I believe that Winexpert makes a couple of different White Zins. Which one are we talking about?

Steve

I have to agree with both Wade and Steve... Bottle shock is definitely a concern immediately following bottling and so you should try to let your wines sit for a couple of months (mind you, I always open a couple of bottles early to "see how they're evolving") In addition, I'm assuming that a White Zin kit would have been back-sweetened with an F-pack or conditioner. If the sweetener was added immediately prior to bottling and was not adequately mixed, you could get bottle variation.

Also, the same wine can taste remarkably different at different days/times. I don't know how many times I've tasted a wine, even in rather clinical conditions (classroom settings, formal tastings, etc.) and then tasted it later in a different environment (at dinner, at home, in a different glass, etc.) only to have significantly different impressions...

I'd say give it a little more time next batch and try to get to know your wine once it has fully settled down.

Latest posts

Back