WineXpert Winexpert Chocolate Raspberry Port

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vito709

Junior
Reaction score
I am at the Chaptalisation stage during the primary fermentation. I followed the instructions to the letter and am waiting for some activity. I thought by adding the liquidfied sugar and stirring up the yeast I would hear some activity. I added the sugar two days ago and nothing is happening at this stage.
Is this normal? I have made several hundred gallons of red and white wines befor without any problems. This is my first Port and am I just being impatient.

The only way to tell for sure if you have activity is to take SG readings - visible signs of fermentation are not always reliable (with credit to cpfan). I have not made this port but it seems to be subject to stuck fermentation, although I believe it has happened a little later in the process. Some, I believe, have also added the sugar in two doses rather than all at once, so as to not overwhelm the yeast.
Check your SG and see if fermentation is under way.

I am at that stage as well. I just hit 1.020 today and have added half the dextrose. I will add the other half tomorrow morning. Mine is still bubbling but it not really visible unless I concentrate on the test tube and is 78 degrees. Will let you know ho I make out. Good luck.

I added the other half of the dextrose 12 hours after the first half and gave it a good whip. Half only takes it up .006 so it was back to 1.020 in 12 hours. I just took a reading now and am back to 1.020. I gave it a whip for 20 seconds after the reading and after it settled down again I see there are bubbles so still fermenting. Maybe I will make it all the way down!?!? I will keep you posted. I am running it at 75 degrees and tonight I took spacers out of brew belt. As fermentation slows there will be less heat produced so the belt should keep it in that 74-78 range with no spacers. :u

Just finished racking into secondary. SG 1.010 and still the odd bubble in the airlock. I had the brew belt on the whole time. Hope it turns out for you.

I've got the same kit underway at the moment. Still in primary.

I have been reading a number of different threads on here on ports, and have noticed a lot of discussion and recommendations to fortify ports.

Has anyone fortified this kit before? Did it improved the kit? I saw another thread where some suggested making this kit exactly as directed, because it was a good one. Just wondering..

I have my second one in the secondary right now. I did not add anything to the first one, and will not be adding to this one. I like them enough as they are but we all have different tastes.

I've got the same kit underway at the moment. Still in primary.

I have been reading a number of different threads on here on ports, and have noticed a lot of discussion and recommendations to fortify ports.

Has anyone fortified this kit before? Did it improved the kit? I saw another thread where some suggested making this kit exactly as directed, because it was a good one. Just wondering..

I have made this kit and love it. I recommend adding at least one full bottle of plain brandy and it will really smooth it out. One bottle won't change the ABV by even 1%.

I notice that a lot of people make port wines here on the forum. I am going to make a port of my own invention out of a wine that just got out of hand and is too sweet for me. I am only planning on fortifying either with Brandy or Grain Alcohol and sweetening it. I take it you normally enjoy these wines with dessert or is there some other time they work well? Also, any recommendations on ABV and final SG? I am thinking about 20% and 1.020. Too hot? Too Sweet?

I get the most enjoyment out of Port by sitting outside in the evening (not allowed in the house with stogie) and enjoying it with a nice cigar. :sm

Have no idea why I did not see this section until now. We started our WE on 1/13/12. It is the Chocolate Raspberry......

Not sure why anyone would have ever put this thread in "other wine kits" when its clearly a W.E. kit and how it lasted this long without getting moved! :re

Not sure about others but I found the forum when I was searching for an answer to a question on wine making. And it seemed to me it was a good place to post questions. I had no idea there were other categories for quite awhile.

Got ours bottled a month ago, was nice then really looking forward to it after aging a bit.

Weird, to me it never really tasted any different at all any later on. Just great from the start. Maybe it mellowed a little as far as sweetness.

Good to know Wade, we'll have to give it another try and see. would have assumed it needed to mellow a bit

Stogie & port are a perfect blend.

I'm new to wine making. I have a Stag's Leap merlot in stage two. I'm already addicted. My next is this Port. I can't wait to get it started.

Back