Winery Up for Auction

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Made it a link for ya Al.Somehow I dont think 100K is where it will end!

There you go, driving up the price of my winery I wanted to buy in Texas!
Way to go guys
smiley36.gif

Wow, 1st class winery for sure.

Too bad it's in Lubbock, TX....... Looks like things got out of hand in the business side of things. Has been open more or less for 20 years. Total debt is $5mil, total assets is $2.5mil.
smiley24.gif

Mike, Where did you get your information. I would like to read more about this. I wounder how a well estab. business like this can get so upside down. Would be a good read to see what not to do or maybe they just got hit by the Depression of 2009.

Rich beat me to the punch!

Yep, I just googled Caprock winery and a bunch of pages came up about the auction with several that had the history of the winery as well. Looks like they brought on an Italian team back in February to help out with the running of the operation but the banks said no more credit for you, you can't pay your bills as it stands........

Wasn't Regina from Texas and her last name is Caprock? Coincidence? Maybe she was meant to buy this one!

We should compile our collective grey matter and see if one of us can remember to check back and see what it ends up selling for.
20100624_084321_kgo_004.gif

Should be interesting.

As a former (short-term) resident of Lubbock, I can tell you Caprock has made some good (but not great) wines over the years. I would have guessed they had been around closer to 30 years, but that would be some fuzzy memories now. Caprock's "problem" from a marketing perspective, was that they always played second fiddle to Llano Estacado, which is Texas's 2nd biggest winery (by volume/production).

They are located very close to each other on the southern outskirts of town (Lubbock has just over 200,000 people), and the region has excellent weather for grape growing, especially to the south and west of Lubbock. Lots of flat, cheap land, lots of sun, cool nights, low humidity, not much rain. It's either ranchland or nothin', mostly - irrigation for most crops is just too expensive.

The business end must have collapsed because I can't remember the last time I saw more than 1 type of Caprock winery on sale at local wine shops. Llano Estacado typically has 6-8 types available, i the Texas section. Texans are very partial to Texas products - virtually every liquor store and even the grocery stores has a dedicated Texas wine section. So most Texas wineries can find at least one or two receptive retail outlets, if they know what they are doing. That doesn't guarantee success, but I can tell you Dallas-area wine stores do not carry wine from New Mexico, Missouri, New York or Virginia - only California, Washington and a little bit of Oregon get any exposure as domestic producers.

Funny, NM wine shops don't carry Texas wines either!

Perhaps no one even try's to sell "cross-border". I can remember 25 years ago only having a couple of wine choices in the Texas wine aisle. Last time I was in HEB in San Antonio it took up almost a whole aisle. Don't know if any of its any good but there was plenty of selection.

Latest posts

Back