RJ Spagnols Winery Series Kit Questions

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dugger

Reaction score
My first kit for the new year will be the Winery Series Super Tuscan which has received high praise on this forum. It's my 100th kit since starting in '95 so I thought I'd make it a special one.
Anyway, a couple of questions since I've not made a winery series before:
1. Do those of you who make these follow the 1 week ferment on the skins as per directions or do a complete ferment with the skins in the bucket? I favour the 14 day bucket ferment but this baby has wet skins ( my previous kits have had dried skins) and I don't know if this makes a difference ( I suspect not);
2. Will a regular 7.9 gal fermenting bucket hold the juice plus the fairly large bottle of skins? I have a larger 10 gal fermenter but the lid does not seal so I wouldn't want to use it for a 14 day ferment, if I choose that route.
3. Is the juice bag 16 or 18 liters? Just curious - it's an 18 liter kit but I think that may include the wet skin pack.

Ferment to dry in the primary. 7.9 gallon fermenter will work for this one.
Stir twice a day until SG gets to about 1.020, then seal top and add an air lock.

Once the lid is sealed, it is good if the fermenter is where you can grab the top of the bucket and swirl it so the wine inside mixes some. This will help keep the grape pack wet during the whole time.

I made the Super Tuscan and it is one of my favorites. I do pretty much what Robie suggests except in addition to stirring the wine twice daily, I also squeeze the bag of grape skins at the same time. In addition, I add pectic enzyme to the bag to help it along.

The difference comes when I move to secondary, either in the primary fermenter or a carboy. That is the point where I remove the grape skins. Frankly, I never thought of leaving them in the primary when I snap the lid down. I like that idea and I have a Barolo and an Amarone from the Renaissance Impressions coming on Friday. I think I will try Robie's method on at least one of them.

For my last 3 kits with skins, I have been fermenting for 14 days in the primary (which is pretty much dry) and then racking to the secondary to day 21. So far the results have been great. I quit stirring and snap on the lid at a SG of 1.020.

JW, that sounds like a winning combination, very similar to what Robie does. I can't see that there would be any danger in leaving the skins in until dry. The only concern would be leaving the wine on the "gross" lees, but that is minor.

Thanks -based on the replies I will go with the complete ferment in the bucket, which is my preferred method.
For this jam type skins do you prefer to use the supplied muslin bag or use a paint strainer type bag? I usually use a strainer bag but have no experience with the wet skins.

Dugger

I have done 2 winery series kits so far and used the bag supplied. I also followed their instructions for when to removed them. Maybe on my next kit (Chilean Carmenère) i will try leaving them in the bucket till dry. you wont be dissappionted with these kits

Don't think I saw this answered but its a 16L kit with a 2L skin pack.

For anyone (newbies) unsure about what to do if you have any confusion, a kit always makes 23L of juice (except for ports and dessert wines) and the add pack is on TOP of that. Always pour the juice in the primary first, add water to the 23L mark and then add the add pack (grapes or skins or jam whatever it is) on top. You will now be OVER the 23L mark but that is by design.

3. Is the juice bag 16 or 18 liters? Just curious - it's an 18 liter kit but I think that may include the wet skin pack.

Back