RJ Spagnols Winery Series Cab 1 year update

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MOwino

Reaction score
I opened up a bottle of my RJS WS Cab for a taste test.

Color: I left this wine on the skins for 1 extra week and you can tell by it's color. It is extremely dense/opaque. It is a very deep red border-lining on black.

Nose: What stood out the most was the distinct aroma of chocolate followed by notes of plum jelly. Oddly enough, one of the thing I noticed about it when I was bottling was a green pepper smell but that seems to have diminished now.

Taste: This wine can best be described by the word "chewy"! It has a very deep flavor profile with multiple layers. The front was fruity flavors of grapes and plums and typical Cabernet grape taste mixed with a pepper flavor found in Pinot Noirs. It finished with a very nice toasted oak and cigar tobacco flavor that lasts all the way down.

This wine is going to be a great winter night, getting cozy by the fire, enjoying the peace and quite without kids type of wine. If it's this good at 1 year I can't wait for next falls taste test. But for now it will go back on the wine rack until the winter of 2014. Don't get me wrong, it's fine right now but I think I will regret it if I don't let it mature for another year.

Yeah, you just cant go wrong with these WS's!!!! I wish I had the money as Id start all over and make a batch of each of them. I still yave almost a whole batch of the Super Tuscan thats going on 3 years now. I think its time to start popping a few open.

Latest posts

Back