Winery Laws

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TxBrew

Reaction score
For those who have opened or plan to open a winery, before you did anything did you obtain the permits or did you lease/buy the space and then go down that path?

This depends on the location and circumstances, every state and locale is slightly different. The common thing is the TTB Basic Permit. You will need that no questions asked. Download their packet and try to fill it out one of the first things. However, be sure the locality will permit a winery first. It does no good to get the TTB permit if you're in a dry town- and it happens a lot. If you don't own the land yet and a winery isn't allowed, change locations to one where it is allowed. Then once you have a local OK, go the TTB route. Once that is in you can apply to your state. Some states are easy and some are harder.

There are different classes of wineries and you would probably do well to begin with a Farm Winery classification. Bonding requirements are lower, as are permit fees. There is a limit of under 150,000 gallons per year. Chances are you will be under that. The downside is you may be limited as to the source of your grapes or juice. For instance in NY, we can only use grapes grown in NY. I can buy grapes from 500 miles away near Buffalo, but can't use grapes grown 30 miles away in Vermont.

Thats very interesting about the grapes Rich. I know there is a local winery here in Ct. that git busted as theye are allowed to use a certain % of grapes from somewhere else and they got nailed using way over that in Caliu grapes! The funny thing is their wi ne still sukked! :)

I would guess that is a law they passed to help support the local economy. Which is not really too bad a thing.

Grapeman is right. Don't forget zoning. That can be an issue. With our bonded winery, we can get fruit from anywhere, but we pay more for the license as indicated.

In Texas you can use wine from anywhere unless you are in a dry area. Then you must a certain %, I think 85% of grapes grown in Texas
Hummm. Texas grapes?
Is that like Lone Star Beer?

Going to bring this thread back to life.
Grapeman you said something about a Dry Town, well I live in a Dry town and under Prohidition Law you can open a Winery. The Law does not apply, as here is PA I can open a winery with no issue as it only applies to Malts and Grains not to Fermenting. Yes I have checked with PLCB and my township have the green light to go ahead with plans down the road. So before you give up on an area based on Dry Town check out the law in your area first..

Last edited:
I've thought of trying to open a place where people could make their own wine. I would supply the fruit, equipment, bottles etc., and then hold classes that would walk people through the steps of making their own homemade wine. In the end, they would bottle a batch of wine they made themselves.

What laws and permits would be involved being that I wouldn't be actually selling wine, just providing the space and equipment for people to make their own batch?

Gowers Choice said:
I've thought of trying to open a place where people could make their own wine. I would supply the fruit, equipment, bottles etc., and then hold classes that would walk people through the steps of making their own homemade wine. In the end, they would bottle a batch of wine they made themselves.

What laws and permits would be involved being that I wouldn't be actually selling wine, just providing the space and equipment for people to make their own batch?

There are several places that do this in Ohio, so check your local laws, see if its allowed.

Thanks, would you know the name of a place like that, that has a web sight? I'd love to ask them some questions.

Gowers Choice said:
Thanks, would you know the name of a place like that, that has a web sight? I'd love to ask them some questions.

Grape and Granary www.grapeandgranary.com
This place is interesting. They run a winery, brew on site, and a supply store for home brewers.

Wine Celler www.yourwineceller.net They also have a sister company where you can brew your own beer there. Brew Kettle

An old Englishman walks into a bar and asks for a bottle of 38 year old wine from Leonne, France. The bartender not wanting to go to the cellar gave the Englishman the closest bottle of wine he has. The Englishman tasted it and said 'This wine is only 2 years old and is from Santiago de Chile. 'The bartender was amazed, but at the same time curios, so he gave him another bottle. The Englishman goes 'This wine is 17 years old and is from San Diego, California.' The bartender was so amazed that he gave him another bottle. The Englishman tasted it and said 'This wine is 30 years old and is from Lima, Peru. 'Finally the bartender goes to the cellar and got the right bottle and gave it to the Englishman. The Englishman said: 'Finally, a 38 year old wine from Leonne, France.' An old drunk that had been watching goes up to the Englishman and said 'Could you please tell me what kind of drink is this' and hands him a cup. The old Englishman tasted and said 'What the **** this is piss.' And the drunk replied 'Yeah I know but could you please tell me from where because I'm so drunk that I don't remember where I live.'

Question any one out their that has a license to become a farm winery? I live in Georgia any I have just started reading and studying the laws. I don't want to build a winery but I have a partner who has a winery he makes I sell. I'm an Ag man I like growing and tasting which I will build a tasting room at my farm. First harvest this year but I need to sell my wine to continue in business.
Any help?

Confused about "your wine". If you don't have a winery how do you have any wine? I'm thinking you would only need a liqueur license to pour.

Gonna start to ask a few questions

At this point I am way down the road.
However my plan is to develop a good wine to donate to charity
and to sell to local distributors. I plan to buy grapes as Napa Valley is
in driving distance from me. I contacted the ABC local guy and he told me

23356.2. (a) No license or permit shall be required for the
manufacture of beer or wine for personal or family use, and not for
sale, by a person over 21 years of age. The aggregate amount of beer
or wine with respect to any household shall not exceed (1) 200
gallons per calendar year if there are two or more adults in the
household or (2) 100 gallons per calendar year if there is only one
adult in the household.
UNQUOTE

So I know I can produce 200 gallons a year to give away and donate
But when I start producing to sell I think I need a TYPE 2
License.
I think this is the License I need

WINEGROWER
-
(Winery) The following pertains to new winegrowers' licenses issued after September 17, 1965. A winegrower must have facilities and equipment for the conversion of fruit into wine and engage in the production of wine (Section 23013). Federal Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau
(TTB) regulations permit a winegrower to use the facilities and equipment of another winegrower to produce wine. This is commonly referred to as an "alternating proprietorship." Separate winegrower licenses are issued to each legal entity manufacturing wine under its own bonded winery permit. Wine must be made from the fermentation of agricultural products to which may be added brandy that is distilled from the same agricultural product from which the wine is made. Thus, neutral grain or other distilled spirits
cannot be used to fortify wine – only brandy of a specific type. No more than 15% added flavoring or blending material may be added. (Section 23007).
UNQUOTE

So is this correct or am I confused
Thanks

Back