Winemaking has taught me...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CheerfulHeart

Still wineing
Reaction score
I have learned a few things from winemaking in the past year or so...no particular order...

I learn something new with every batch.

Being creative is fun. :db

Wine doesn't always turn out as planned. That's where creativity comes in. :h

Time may or may not fix it.

Sometimes "good enough" is just fine.

My winemaking has some limitations for now. "Fun wines" will have to be my focus until I can make my wine storing area more temperature-controlled. Nothing wrong with Dragon Blood or the occasional cooler style wine kit. Somebody has to make them. :h

It's OK to trust my instincts.

Hard cider does not like hot weather. If the temperature in the storage room is above 100 degrees Fahrenheit for more than a few days, the outcome will not be pretty. Glass shards from 1 gallon jugs and the 5 gallons of cider can travel farther than you think. :)

And most importantly, I am thankful for the terrific people on this site who are willing to answer my questions and help me figure out solutions! You are awesome!

How old I'm getting... By reading how folks here are going to bulk age a year or more then bottle age another year before "trying" their wine and here I am in my seventies thinking that waiting that long would be much to risky for me. Might never get to try the wine.
smilie.gif

i'm 55 my health is horrible 4 doctors at 4 different times said I'd not live to leave the hospital, the fifth doc gave me a year an one half that's all but up by now,, so I started buying Flor quality cork ,, if I live I'll be drinking fine wine, if I don't my family and friends will drink fine wine and tell stories about me I've kept secret for decades now, the way I see this is a win, win, nothing from here on out but the highest quality corks in the world for me, of course I still use winery grade for my quick drinkers,
Dawg

How old I'm getting... By reading how folks here are going to bulk age a year or more then bottle age another year before "trying" their wine and here I am in my seventies thinking that waiting that long would be much to risky for me. Might never get to try the wine.
smilie.gif

OBTW you're in my prayers, I hope and pray you're here for many more years,
Dawg

smilie.gif

smilie.gif

A man has got to know his limitations, his expectations, and go after everyday like it was his last. I think wine making is a past time that can actually age with us!

My wife keeps telling me I should write notes about the wines I store away just in case if/when the time comes she know when the best time to drink them!

dang I hope and pray you sleep with one eye open when she's around,, LOL ,,

A man has got to know his limitations, his expectations, and go after everyday like it was his last. I think wine making is a past time that can actually age with us!

My wife keeps telling me I should write notes about the wines I store away just in case if/when the time comes she know when the best time to drink them!

smilie.gif

... But how could anything possibly happen when there is wine that you haven't tasted??? Never know, this just might keep you going!

Back