Winemaking area

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ahhhhhhhhhh! Now its time for the concrete to dry before I can start
framing and wiring. Yippeeeeeeeee! No more water. It even has an alarm
to tell me if the water rises above the sump if sump fails to work and
its loud!

20070417_095035_Floor_Medium_La.jpg

20070417_095132_Sump_Medium_Lar.jpg

Edited by: wade

Maybe we need one more real good rain to test it before you start framing to make sure it works!
smiley2.gif

Im going to use pressure treated 2 x 4's for sill plates just in case and will not sheetrock or carpet until Im sure!

Good luck with that Wade. With all this rain we are getting in the North East, it will surely be a good test.

We have a partially finished basement (half finished and 1/4 wine cellar) and I've been checking for water every night here in So. NH. Thank goodness the previous owners made sure the drainage from the house was excellent. MOLD STINKS!!!
smiley12.gif
smiley12.gif

wade, now I envy you for two things - your basement and your whole house generator. The whole house generator is on my wish list, but the basement is out of the question unless I build a new house (aka win the lottery).

The generator was $3,100 and to have it wired was $900 but the pce. of mind and home resale difference, priceless!

Wade, congradulations on being on step closer to a realized goal.

Have you thought about tiling the basement floor? Then using area carpets, like oriental carpets over the tile? At least that way if...... and thats a big if, it happens to ever get wet again, you can take the area carpets out and clean and dry before anything gets moldy?

All finished areas except the bedroom will be tiled wether cheap ol
stick it down or ceramic. The bedroom will be carpeted and that area of
the basement never got wet, just the other 1/2 as that is the way the
floor is un level so that area is safe and weve had some serious water
in the basement.

It's coming along nice Wade, but after you get it good and dry you will have to change your name from Wade to something a little drier. Keep the pictures coming- it's moving along nicely.
smiley32.gif

appleman said:
after you get it good and dry you will have to change your name from Wade to something a little drier.

Now that was FUNNY!!!!
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
20070417_180026_Laughing_RoflSm.gif

Maybe we can call him "Crawl", Like Pauly Shore on "Son InLaw"

smiley32.gif
That was just sooo funny, I actually laughed out loud and people were wondering what I was laughing at lol
smiley9.gif

Wade,
Good luck on your basement project. I had problems with water years ago.I highly recommend getting a sump pump that is bigger than what you think you'll need (HPsize) I had a 1/3 hp motor and it could hardly keep up at times.I switched to a 1/2 hp and had no problems after that.Also think about getting a whole house surge protector.I also learned the hard way on that one. we had some wires come down in a storm that back feed into the house and blew out the tv's,computer, lamps,garage door opener,all surge protectors and every GFI outlet in the house. We then had a whole house protector put in the fusebox. The cost was real resonable compared to the damage we had .Also great piece of mind!

Good luck!

Hey Wade

When you do go to put your walls in, make sure that you put plastic between your sill and the concrete floor. This will keep the moisture that is present in the concrete from attcking your boards.

Grant

Wade, code generally requires pressure treated sill plates on concrete. It is just plain good practice too. An untreated board on concrete, especially damp concret won't last long and would wick into the insulation and sheetrock eventually. You probably should also use water resistant sheetrock-like you would in a bathroom. Cost isn't much more and will hold up a whole lot better.

wade said:
Im going to use pressure treated 2 x 4's for sill plates
just in case and will not sheetrock or carpet until Im sure!

Thanks appleman and that was my plan.

Hey Alice......... I mean.... Wade.....

Not that any of us don't think that you don't know what your doing, I thought I would throw my 2 cents worth in here too.

Here, I don't know if this would apply in your area, a room is not necessarily additional square footage (Living Footage) to your house unless it has acceptable windows. They are more concerned with escape than function and aesthetics.

The other concern that I would have in your particular case would be mold. Is there any treatment things you can do during the construction phase that would help eliminate future issues with mold?

Latest posts

Back