New Winemaking Setup

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mcjeff

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We moved earlier this year and I finally have some time to set up a new winemaking area in the new house. Here are some work on progress pictures. Sharing to possibly help others and for any suggestions as I go along.
1st - a sink area. There was a small room next to the basement bathroom that the previous owner had used as a cat room - complete with vent fan. I tapped into the existing plumbing and hooked up a utility sink.FDD307EF-E12A-41CA-BDAF-29A40D4B6384.jpeg7682870F-AD80-41C6-83B9-1B23B209FFB4.jpeg
I plan to add some shelves and hooks in addition to some wall moisture protection.
Next, I am going to use this area for my workbench and carboy/barrel storage:
59031243-EE17-432A-B743-DE4588B8BF95.jpeg

The shelves for the carboys appear to be angled, is that to let the lees settle to one side? It's looking like a really nice setup all together!
Yes angled. When racking I normally place a block of wood under the carboy this way it is already at that angle, plus it allows you to reach the back row easily. The “carboy closet” is based on a design in the book “The Homebuilt Winery” by Steve Hughes.

Update. Carboy and barrel(someday) storage. View attachment 69920
Workbench and storage on left with doors closed. Still some painting to do

I think that the OSB you made the shelf out of is going to sag under the weight you are planning to put on it. Maybe not at first but I believe you will need to address it. If you have any scraps of plywood still hanging around they might be a better solution.

Yes angled. When racking I normally place a block of wood under the carboy this way it is already at that angle, plus it allows you to reach the back row easily. The “carboy closet” is based on a design in the book “The Homebuilt Winery” by Steve Hughes.

@Mcjeff - Your set up looks great. I'm jealous, but congrats on the build out.

Regarding the angled feature-Steve Hughes is also the designer of the Intellitank system, and incorporated the the angled spout, into the design of the Intellitank. So they can be placed on stacked shelves and you can still get a siphon tube into the tank. I'll some back with a picture that shows the same feature, but it's a good and thoughtful feature.

574BFF0B-BB73-4B5B-B506-9DB2E9F254E4.jpeg

@Mcjeff - Your set up looks great. I'm jealous, but congrats on the build out.

Regarding the angled feature-Steve Hughes is also the designer of the Intellitank system, and incorporated the the angled spout, into the design of the Intellitank. So they can be placed on stacked shelves and you can still get a siphon tube into the tank. I'll some back with a picture that shows the same feature, but it's a good and thoughtful feature.

View attachment 70154
Thanks for sharing. I had not seen these before.

Back