Winemaking area

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wade E

Premium
Reaction score
This will be it. aits 12 x10 and will do but tommorow it gets destroyed
and waterproofed and then the story begins. the other side of the
basement will be bedroom and wine storage. Ill take some pictures along
the way. Gotta start buying some framing lumber now

20070415_094835_Winemaking_Area.jpg

cool wade. It'll be great to watch the pics as this develops. congrats

This is the same spot after 4 1/2 hours of rain and it gets alot worse
with actual springs shooting straight up through the floor and thats
why Im spending $6,000.00 to resolve this!

20070415_124905_Picture_Medium.jpg

Edited by: wade

Been there done that Wade.......

Drain tile and stone "Below" the footers is the only fix I have ever found. Have seen people dig and tar the outside, put drain tile in but not below the footers.

How are they going to water proof???? Just paint on a coating??? Or dig trenches around the perimeter and have a sump with a water pump????

Do you have rain gutters on your house's eves to direct the rain water away from the sides of the house???? Do you have good drainage around the outside of the house???

I ask so many questions because the old house that was here when we moved here was hopeless....we learned a lot trying to remedy the wet situation...

The old house had no drainage, in fact when we moved in the basement windows were below the dirt line around the house...we dug a mote around the house to drain rain water away, put long spouts off the eves trough's to direct the rain water away from the house....Everything helped a bit...but the soil was so heavy that it would just get saturated and seep through cracks in the walls...The house had other issues, so it got moved away.

Hope your project works out and heals those leaks you have going there....Nothing worse than a wet basement.

Keep those photos coming....Edited by: Northern Winos

They are going to dig down to the bottom of the footings and install
10" drain pipes which dump into an industrial sump pump with an alarm
on it. Then they are going to coat all walls with a slurry that bonds
to it and is supposed to saturate into the walls and become
inpenetrable. Then they are going to sray all the walls down with a
mold resistant spray. All work is guaranteed for the life of us and the
next owner(transferrable). And yes I have gutters wth extended down
spouts away from the house. I did alot when we first moved in to try
and remedy this and believe me it helped alot but just not enough.

Edited by: wade

Its really raining now and the springs are really in action. No this is not Ol Faithful its my basement!
smiley36.gif

20070415_145211_Spring_1.jpg

20070415_145336_Spring_2.jpg

Holy Cow!!!! It is an actual spring...lots of pressure there.

The way they are going to do it sounds like a sure fix for your problem ......it's going to give you a whole new living area.

What do you do with all that water....got a floor drain????

Luckily we have a walk out basement and it just flows right out. Thats
the reason when getting house insurance they ask if you have a walkout
basement or Bilko doors. Water will just fill up in your basement and
cause lots of damage with Bilko doiors!

lake house! Your own natural springs! Farmers around here would love to have your place for irrigation if that natural spring of your holds up!

Just put a pool in your basement!
A couple of months after Bert and I got married the city flooded. We had a basement full of water and lost the furnace and electrical panel.
smiley18.gif
The the true urban girl that I was, I didn't have a clue.
smiley3.gif
So we're standing on the front porch of the house, watching the water flow by. Fully surrounded by water. He put his arm around me and said, "See? Less than a year of marriage and I already gave you a lake house." I added, "With an indoor pool!" It must have been love because I even stayed after the 2 floods the next year!
smiley27.gif

We didn't have the lovely spring in our basement, it just poured in the window.

And I thought the occasional puddle I was getting in my storm cellar was a problem..WHEWWWWWWW !!! Good luck on the project wade and keep them pictures coming as it progresses.

No kidding, I was digging full footers for a deck out back and since we are about two feet above sea level whenever we get two-three inches of rain the ground is saturated. I bailed and siponed enough water for awhile. I want a basement eventually, but don't know if I could stand one that floods.

Here's another way of looking at it...

432 bottles of wine of various vintages and typesif purchased in the store would be worth about $7,776, assuming $18 per bottle on average.

If the cost of your average kit+ supplies is $100, which yields about 30 bottles, your per bottle cost is $3.33 or $1440 for your entire stock. That means you've saved $6,336- enough money to almost completely pay for your basement waterproofing and buildout!!

And just think your savings continue with each batch you make. Before long you will have saved enough to add a whole new wing to your house!

Good luck with those leaks, Wade.

GrapeApe.

Edited by: GrapeApe

They worked like dogs all day and got all the trenches dug and
installed the sump which pumps it into an old pipe I found which takes
it underground right into a stream in the woods.

20070416_155528_Sump_Small_Medi.jpg

20070416_155643_Picture_Medium_.jpg

Wade,

When I was in 8th grade we moved to a new house in Lexington, MA. Before that we lived south of Chicago. In both houses we had sump pumps in the basement, and in both houses the basement would flood when in bad storms. Why? Power failure.

I recommend you keep a generator handy that you can plug the sump pump into. With the kind of storms you are having now, power failures are very possible, and all of the finish work you plan to do down there would be ruined.

Very good suggestion Pete....... A warning worth heeding........

And best of all...............

You finally posted something that I understood
smiley36.gif

Just kidding...... love your post!

Peter I have a generator that powers my whole breaker box. I had it
installed a year after we moved in when we lost power for 2 days in the
middle of a heat wave of summer. Theres nothing worse than coming home
from a job where you sweat like a pig all day and have sawdust caked on
you and come home to find out that on the way home basically the whole
state of Ct. and NY lost power. There was another $3,500 after having
it installed but we saved $500 just from what was in our freezer not to
mention that our fridge was packed. I like to come home and take a