Mosti Mondiale Winemaker Magazine - Top 100 kits

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mpt1123

Reaction score
Hello:
I've been a fan of MM All-Juice kits for about a year now. George got me started on this hobby and the All-Juice kits seem to be his top-of-the line. I was surprised to see in the Dec-Jan issue of Winemaker magazine that MM kits are hardly mentioned when ranking the top 100 wine kits. Are there better kits out there than MM All-Juice or does Winemaker magazine have a little bias?

I don't think the WMM contest is biased.
Use the exactsame grape for concentrate or all juice and maybe the all juice is better, but if the grapes going into the concentrate are better, the winemaker can make a better wine.

It's not that biased, but MM kits are not that widespread. It more a matter of numbers. If 1000 people submit RJS products and 50 submit MM products, which will win more awards based on numbers? It's all about distribution.

George plays the game based not on distribution, but quality. MM is high quality stuff, much like RJS, but just isn't as well known.

Mike:

The primary issue with the WMM contest, is that home winemakers must submit their wine to the contest, the manufacturers and their employees are not eligible (call this the Tim V rule, if you wish).

So if nobody submitted one of their precious bottles from one of these higher-priced kits, then it won't win an award, no matter how good it is. Or if somebody messed with the kit (tons of oak, or whatever). The judges may not agree with the winemaker that it is wonderful. Thus a poorer score.

Also, I think thatMM is one of the lower volume manufacturers. So there are fewer people making their kits.

Result? In the kit world, Winexpert and RJ Spagnols lead the rest of the manufacturers in volume of submissions.

Quickcomments on the 2010 Top 10. IMO, the two MM Fresco wines are not kit wines. Fresco is a "refrigerated fresh grape juice product", not a shelf stable wine kit. ABC Cork is a very low volume producer; their kits are very rarely mentioned on the forums.There are six6-week kits from RJS or WE (Cru Select or Selection). Vineco's Port kitrounds outthe top ten.

Steve

Mike T, when you say All Juice do you mean the bucket cause the Masters and the Meglioli are also all juice and higher quality then the bucket.

I have never seen anything other than WE and RJS kits stocked in a LHBS.

I try and stop in on my "occasional" travels around the country so I have been in a few.
smiley4.gif

Now that I think of it, that makes it all the more impressive that Cellar Craft has so many Medals won!
smiley31.gif

Wade said:
Mike T, when you say All Juice do you mean the bucket cause the Masters and the Meglioli are also all juice and higher quality then the bucket. 

Wade:
By All Juice I was referring to all three types : All Juice, Masters, and Meglioli. It seems logical to me that a product that contains 100% juice would be superior to a product that requires a few gallons of water to be added to concentrate. However, since that's what I'm used to, it made sense to me. The WMM results didn't confirm that and it got me thinking (which is not always a good thing).
Mike

ibglowin said:
I have never seen anything other than WE and RJS kits stocked in a LHBS.

I try and stop in on my "occasional" travels around the country so I have been in a few.
smiley4.gif

Now that I think of it, that makes it all the more impressive that Cellar Craft has so many Medals won!
smiley31.gif
Guess you need to visit Canada, and check out some of the stores here.

Cellar Craft makes some excellent products, but they didn't crack the Top Ten this year. Just like the original post on Mosti Mondiale.

Steve

Yep, CC being a Canadian company (as Mosti is) I bet you guys see a lot of their juice compared to the States. I wish we could get/find the Kenridge Kits as it looks like those are pretty darn good as well.

It might also be a factor of the price of the kit, although there are other expensive kits closer to the top. IMO, you don't see as many LBHS carrying Mosti as RJS and W.E.

I don't think the placement in the 100 really has a lot to do with the quality of the kit. The number 1 kit is not a terribly expensive kit.

Wade said:
Not to mention the RJS Hightail juice. You lucky SOB! hehehe
Have I mentioned lately that I'm enjoying the Hightail Washington Merlot from 2008?

Steve
smiley4.gif

Of all the other brands I have for a long time wished George would/could carry the Kenridge Founders kits. They have a Brunello that I reeeeally want to make. I know WTS can't carry every brand, I know from 35 eyars of reatil that bringing on a new vendor is difficult, risky and expensive. One day I'm going to have to be a Benedict Arnold and order that Brunello it from ECKrous.

Ditto on the Kenridge kits.

Steve if we can't be enjoying the wine at least someone is.

And that kit listed as #1 really is fantastic!

Sure wish we could get the Hightail in the U.S. I stopped paying attention to the top100 years ago when I saw mist kits at the top of the list. I figured more people were willing to give up a bottle of the cheaper mist kits than the more expensive ones.

It is nice getting hightail kits. I take a lot of wine kit stuff for granted living out here, literally, a 15 minute drive to RJ Spagnols, Winexpert, Cellar Craft (Vitality Foods), etc. However, some kits are harder to find than others. Mosti Mondiale has a very limited showing out west, since they are Quebec based. Kenridge (Vineco) is also a little harder to find, since there are a limited number of shops that carry it in my area, but if you can find them, you can also check out their Heron Bay line, which are excellent too.

Latest posts

Back