WINEMAKER MAG RESULTS

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I see you have at least one winner.
Will have to get more entries next year as we came up short again on the Retailer of the Year.

Congrats to all that won and thanks to everybody that entered.

Congratulations!
smiley10.gif

George I see you and Joe got a few medals- actually Joe did fairly good. Waldo got Gold for his Port.

Sorry George, I let you down. I got a Bronze for Niagara and a Silver for Chardonnel.
smiley4.gif

Those most definitely were not my best wines entered. It will be interesting to see who judged what. I think the judges went for extreme floral in the White Hybrid Category. That was the one I entered the most in and the nose wasn't knock your socks off in any of mine. I find too much floral offensive. Most of the winning entries in that category were mostly Traminette, which I find a bit off-putting. I guess it goes to what I have said before- it all depends on the judges you pull.

It is also funny, the highest scoring wine I entered this year was the previous year's Chardonnel. I entered it last year and it failed to get anything- one of the judges found it too acidic- and this year it took a silver.

Next year I am hopefully onto the professional category. Also my wines will be judged by the public where I am finding no lack of enthusiasm.

Good luck to all of the rest of you.

I got 3 bronze and 2 gold. Not bad but I did enter 15 wines. Guess I better get better at this for the next one!!
Some of the ones I thought were a shoe in didn't get anything and some I thought had little chance medaled, go figure!
Congrats toallof the winners..

Looks like George/FVW did alright too - 2 Silver, 2 Bronze.

Congratulations to all who won - but I still can't swallow the subjectivity of these competitions. Inevitably, some of the best are passed over and, sometimes, the mediocre take top honors. It just ain't fair - ya know?

In the nature of things that are closer to art than science in the scope of appreciation, that's just the name of the game, Bart.
Don't worry Joan - I went 0-6 this year, although I personally felt that these wines showed better than any of the ones I entered before.

I'm digging Waldo's Gold medal Muscadine Port - rock on!

- Jim

Don't get me started on that subject as our best wine did not even place and a 3 month old Ehrenfelser took best of show in the kit category!

I don't quite get the $25 (plus shipping) entry per wine.

They took in almost $115K in entry fees alone. Do they pay the judges or are they volunteer? What exactly does the $$ go for. Enquiring minds want to know?

If they are worried about keeping the total number of bottles down with this rule then obviously this model is not doing much for that but it is filling their bank accounts......

Perhaps limiting the entries to 2 or 3 per winery?

I know a little about the conference/meeting industry and how it all works as I was an IT consultant for a professional association for about 10 years.

It would just be interesting to know the "rest of the story" as they say.

Congrats to all the FVW entry winners!
smiley32.gif

You're right Mike - where is it all going? Presumably, it's pumping up the bottom line of Winemaker Magazine.
The $25 entry "fee" to have my wine (whether good, bad or ugly) judged by a panel of well-intentioned and probably well-experienced strangers, after tasting hundreds of other wines, is just not what I prefer to put my limited resources towards. I already believe them to be pretty good (to me anyway), so at best, the judges look favorably on my entry and I win a medal, and a gift cert. from FVW, confirming what I already believe. At worst, they hate it and now I have wasted a) a bottle of my "liquid gold", b) the entry fee and shipping costs, and c) my time and energy entering the competition and anxiously awaiting the results only to be disappointed and annoyed.

To put it another way: 3 entries = $75 entry fees + shipping ~= a reasonably good kit from FVW - that's a better use of my finite $$.
And I would bet FVW might prefer that expenditure too, but I won't ask George to comment. on that.

Sounds like it is time for an alternative! I would much rather have the $75.00, duh! Time to put on the thinking cap, which makes everyone around me a little nervous! Some of my ideas can be real doozies! Fortunately, only about 10% of my ideas every make it out in the open. The rest do what they should do and that is die on the vine.

I think you should hold your own competition and give everyone that enters a medal. This way they will be so proud and pumped up that they did so good they just have to buy another kit (or 2) from you to enter later!! Now that's good business!!

Yep, $25 per entry + shipping just stops me every year from entering. Its just too much money out of pocket! I would love to enter just to help and try to get George that retailer of the year award and the medals would be cool but when I consider how much it is plus the fact of where I have to ship it too with the Wine makers Mag on the sticker I can just see the shipping co. rejecting or inspecting it and Id be out a lot of $!

appleman said:
George I see you and Joe got a few medals- actually Joe did fairly good. Waldo got Gold for his Port.

Congrats to all the winners
smiley4.gif
Needless to sayI am quite pleased with my medal and have all my friends on this forum as well as George to thank for my success as without your help and support I have received over the yearson the forum I would still be making wine fromWelches grape juice and sugar.

Last year I got good bang for my buck - 6 for 8 or 6 medals for $225 with shipping included- not too bad. This year, not so good 2 for 11 for $300 including shipping. They are potential advertising for me as I go commercial. It lets people know the wine might be good. I guess this year it might not have been as good - LOL. At least I got the satifaction of one being overlooked last year winning Silver this year!

I'm glad you did well this year Wine-O, but you probably should have gotten more.

Did I see a Walter James Gold Medal port???? Congrats Waldo

Back