Wine with hydrogen sulfide smell safe to drink?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crow41798

Junior
Reaction score
I noticed during fermentation that my wine had a hydrogen sulfide smell. I managed to make it go away through splash racking. I learned that Red Star Montrachet yeast is a high producer of H2S, so maybe that was it. Now that I've poured the bottle, I noticed the smell. It's not very strong, but you can definitely tell that it's there. If I do the copper trick, you can't smell it anymore. The wine itself tastes pretty good, I just wanted to make sure it wasn't going to make me sick or anything.

I'll second Lizerdking's comments. In an industrial accident, I was once exposed to fairly high levels of H2S, enough to get to the headache/dizziness stage. And it hashanlkt effffecctted mee a bbit. (The first part is true.)

I will also agree with above.

H2S is rather potent stuff when it comes to smell. We are talking amounts as low as 2 or 3 parts per million can be detected through the human nose. At this level, you really are in no harm at all.

i never eat anything that smells bad.
so i am never drinking anything that smells bad either...
just me thinking.

As JohnT said there is no harm but you do want to treat it. If you don't it will only get worse. After a while it'll take on a much worse smell like garlic. Treat it now and enjoy it.

The only problem with using a copper pipe is that you get an unhealthy dose of copper into the wine. That's why it's always best to use Reduless.

Montrachet makes alot of H2S when it's stressed. You have to be sure to use good nutrient management with all yeast, but Montrachet is really unforgiving if you don't. Split the nutrient dose into 2 batches--pitch the first one when the ferment starts and the second dose by the 50% dry stage. Then you'll never have a problem ferment due to H2S.

I agree storngly with turock.

Reduless is a product that I have been using for a number of years. I can cure a multitude of sins.

Latest posts

Back