Wine uses for coffee cans

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bj4271

Reaction score
I was just reading some of your tips for cork humidors and thought I'd contribute.

Like Wade, I use a MM all juice bucket for a cork-idor, but I use a cleaned plastic coffee can for the solution. Also keep rubber stoppers in there.

Another use for the coffee cans I just thought of last week: when I had cleaned a couple of carboys after bottling I was looking for a way to dry them when I saw my stack of used coffee cans (I keep used plastic coffee cans for freezing the fish after I fillet it - just dump fillets in can, fill with water-no freezer burn-put on cover & stick in freezer), I just put the carboys upside down with neck in the can - great for glass & plastic carboys.

Sounds cool but how do you get the coffee smell out of them. I have a few of them that I was going to use in a similar fashion as well. I washed them out with various products but still have a coffee aroma when I open one up.

I jusst put them in the dishwasher. I've been stocking them for a while so maybe the smell goes away. I don't notice it much & it doesn't affect anything in the ways I use them.

I have done the same a few times but now have some of these.
<table ="Catalog" id="products" align="center" border="1" bordercolor="#000000" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><t><tr><td ="table" align="default" width="2%"><div align="center">5167 </td>
<td width="5%"><div align="center">
%5Cimages%5C2250_sm.gif
</td>
<td width="20%">

Carboy Dryer

Plastic dryer that is easy to clean &amp; sanitize &amp; is top shelf dishwasher safe.</td>
<td width="2%"><div align="right">$9.99</td></tr></t></table>There much more stable as I was a little worried about 1 falling over

I don't think I ever completely dry my carboys. After washing, I store then with some Meta solution in them and seal with saran wrap and a rubber band until I use them again.

Good idea Maize. Once mine are dry I'll probably do that. They have to be dried here because of the humidity; a/c or not, they'll get moldy if they aren't dried.

smiley36.gif
one way to get the coffee smell out is to use them after the fish have thawed out! I know, I know---- smart a++!

Latest posts

Back