Wine refrig/cooler.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bloodshot2k

Junior
Reaction score
Hi, I just joined this forum and I was hoping someone can help a total newbie out here.

So I will be getting 1995 La Tache wines, 2000 bruno Giacosa Barolo Riserva le Rocche del Falletto, and other expensive wines. The problem is, I live in an apartment and budget is a concern. What brand/model would you recommend for these types of wines? I was researching many sites but it's so overwhelming. Until I learn more, for now I think these wines should be kept in a very climate controlled environment. So experts, please help a total noobie out here and send some suggestions to me. I really would like to spend only few hundred dollars. But if you guys suggest I spend more because of the quality/cost of these wines, I will try my best to do so. Thank you so much for everyone reading.
Oh, forgot to mention, I will only have at most 10 wines. But once again, I waant to keep these wines healthy as possible.

I think this is a joke, but I will play along. A few questions first:

Are these wines a gift or are you buying them? Stealing them?
Do you mean 10 bottles of wine or 10 varieties of wine in more than 10 bottles?
Will you be buying/getting any white wines?
Are you seriously planning on spending at least $5000 on wine or receiving that amount of wine and are worrying about a couple hundred dollars for a storage unit?

Thanks for replying but I find it very rude to suggest that "maybe" I stole them. Second, why does it matter if it was a gift or not? This is for real and it's not a joke. To "Entertain your reply", yes it's a gift. I don't know anything about wine. After finding out it's too expensive, I am going to keep them long as possible.

I would like someone to help me keep them healthy w/o asking such rude and personal questions. I don't understand how that implies to the thread at all.

Well, I apologize. I though it was a joke and I was just joking back. If someone were getting that kind of wine and had to worry about a few hundred on storage, it would either have to be a gift or something else. It would not make sense to me that one would worry about a couple hundred dollars it they spent that kind of money. It is like getting a Rolls-Royce and then wondering if you should park it on the street or pay for a parking spot in a garage.

So to your original question, there are a number of wine refrigerators that sell for under $300 and some even have dual zones for white and red. Just search "wine refrigerators" and you will see quite a few. With the wines you listed, I would make sure that the temperature would go up to 65 degrees F for your reds.

EDIT: Thinking more on your problem, maybe you could sell one bottle of the wine to buy a good storage unit for the rest. You would lose a lot more if one of the bottles spoiled due to poor storage practices.

Last edited:
Well, I apologize. I though it was a joke and I was just joking back. If someone were getting that kind of wine and had to worry about a few hundred on storage, it would either have to be a gift or something else. It would not make sense to me that one would worry about a couple hundred dollars it they spent that kind of money. It is like getting a Rolls-Royce and then wondering if you should park it on the street or pay for a parking spot in a garage.

So to your original question, there are a number of wine refrigerators that sell for under $300 and some even have dual zones for white and red. Just search "wine refrigerators" and you will see quite a few. With the wines you listed, I would make sure that the temperature would go up to 65 degrees F for your reds.

EDIT: Thinking more on your problem, maybe you could sell one bottle of the wine to buy a good storage unit for the rest. You would lose a lot more if one of the bottles spoiled due to poor storage practices.

How do I sell one? I prefer either meeting in person or going through a well known broker.

Well, first are located in a large city or near one like New York, Chicago, Philly, LA, etc.? Selling something like that could be a challenge if you are not. I would search on line for agents to complete the sale (who would charge a fee, of course) but you would still do really well and be able to protect your other bottles. Just enter those two wines you mentioned in a search engine and you will get a rough idea what they are worth. There is quite a range of pricing and they are expensive. You will have to do some research.

There could be someone on this forum who would be interested and there is a page at the very bottlom of the main forum menu for selling items. I suppose you could post a bottle for sale there. I know I could not afford it, but you never know how much some of the people on here are willing (and able) to pay.

Also, I would recommend some additional research into the particular wines you get. Some wines improve with age, some do not. I know you said you want to keep them. Just don't keep them beyond their prime. This seems to me like a fun project to have.
Good luck.

Well, first are located in a large city or near one like New York, Chicago, Philly, LA, etc.? Selling something like that could be a challenge if you are not. I would search on line for agents to complete the sale (who would charge a fee, of course) but you would still do really well and be able to protect your other bottles. Just enter those two wines you mentioned in a search engine and you will get a rough idea what they are worth. There is quite a range of pricing and they are expensive. You will have to do some research.

There could be someone on this forum who would be interested and there is a page at the very bottlom of the main forum menu for selling items. I suppose you could post a bottle for sale there. I know I could not afford it, but you never know how much some of the people on here are willing (and able) to pay.

Also, I would recommend some additional research into the particular wines you get. Some wines improve with age, some do not. I know you said you want to keep them. Just don't keep them beyond their prime. This seems to me like a fun project to have.
Good luck.

Thank you for all your suggestions, ideas and help. I appreciate it. I will look into these ideas and see what suits me the best. Happy New Year!

One other thought. I have read about commercial wine storage companies that keep wine for people in temperature and humidity controlled locations. Again, I don't have a location on any but I am sure you can find it on the net. I don't know if there is a minimum quantity, but with the value of these few bottles, it might be worth exploring.

Happy New Year to you and welcome to the forum.

One other thought. I have read about commercial wine storage companies that keep wine for people in temperature and humidity controlled locations. Again, I don't have a location on any but I am sure you can find it on the net. I don't know if there is a minimum quantity, but with the value of these few bottles, it might be worth exploring.

Happy New Year to you and welcome to the forum.

You mentioned that I should have these at 65 degrees.
All of the storage services are set to 55 degrees.
Question is, why would you recommend 65? I thought 55 was what we look for.
Also, if it's warmer, don't the wine age faster?

When I said 65 degrees F I was talking about a refrigerator from which you would serve wine, say for dinner. Some reds should be served at between 60-65 degrees F like Cabernet Sauvignon, Bordeaux, Pinot Noir, Zinfandel and Shiraz so I recommended a refrigerator that would go up to that level. For storing wine (long term) the "ideal" temperature usually given is 55 degrees F and 75% Relative Humidity. Yes, wine generally does age faster at higher temperatures.

Latest posts

Back