Wine rack question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thig

Reaction score
I am in the process of building some wine racks. In the pic the boards used for this part are 1x12. I want to put a large X in the top and bottom of each space. Just for scale these squares are about 25" large. I am thinking of using 1" x 8" for the X. I know it will be strong enough but will 8" if centered in the box give me enough to rest the wine bottles on?

Wine rack.JPG

I measure about 5 different 750 ml bottles, there all about 8 inches from the bottom to the throat,are close to it...a 1x8 is what 7 1/4 should work..are you going to put a back on it, to keep from sliding backwards.
are a stop on the X.

I had not planned on putting a back on there because it is flush with the block wall behind it. If I center the 1x8 (1x7.25) it would give me about 2 inches in front and behind the X. Maybe I should slide the X toward the back a little more because the shoulder of the bottle will not touch the board any way.

I have 4 of those "X" wine boxes I made.

2 are made with 1 10's and 2 are made with 1 x 8's. The 10 inchers go on the floor and the 8's go on top. It is very stable and only an odd Riesling bottle or 2 has ever been unstable.

Thanks for the replies guys, I think I will go with the 1x8s. I have five of these in all that wrap around a bay area in my basement. I am going to secure them to each other and add trim after they are finished.

Great looking racks.................I said "racks", not "rack". :)

Very nice! [I'm new to wine making but have been a woodworker for decades.]

Very nice! [I'm new to wine making but have been a woodworker for decades.]

My wife says I can build anything with a hammer and jigsaw which is about all I have when it comes to woodworking tools.

The wine racks are pretty awesome Thig. I am a carpenter by trade, and have plans for a few racks myself (Given I ferment out enough bottles to fill them lol). On a side note, you are in Dublin, Ga. the only other forum member I have seen from GA. Are there anymore that are in our area? I'm in Northeast GA now (from Macon).

The wine racks are pretty awesome Thig. I am a carpenter by trade, and have plans for a few racks myself (Given I ferment out enough bottles to fill them lol). On a side note, you are in Dublin, Ga. the only other forum member I have seen from GA. Are there anymore that are in our area? I'm in Northeast GA now (from Macon).

I think there is at least 1 more. I can't recall his user name but I think he is from the Athens area.

No I hadnt. Wow! Gorgeous.

So are they freestanding then? How did you do the Xs? Interlock or some sort of rabbet joint?

They are free standing but each of the units is attached to the one beside it so there is no way one could fall over. The Xs are interlocking. Cut out halfway on each board and then slip together.

Thig, very nice job on the shelves. In looking at the design I was wondering how the horizontal shelf under the upper "X" is attached to the sides. It appears to be butt jointed with nails or screws. Did you use glue also? I would have added a cleat on each side under that shelf, but that is just my "belt and suspenders" mentality. Great work, love the stain.

Thig, very nice job on the shelves. In looking at the design I was wondering how the horizontal shelf under the upper "X" is attached to the sides. It appears to be butt jointed with nails or screws. Did you use glue also? I would have added a cleat on each side under that shelf, but that is just my "belt and suspenders" mentality. Great work, love the stain.

I told you guys all I had was a hammer and a jigsaw.:) Those pieces are glued and screwed. I actually have a few more tools but I am a total novice when it comes to working with wood.

What did you use to do the half-cuts in the X pieces?

(I too am limited in the tools at my disposal :) )

What did you use to do the half-cuts in the X pieces?

Circular (Skill) saw. The boards intersect at almost a 90 degree angle so I did not have to tilt the blade much. I cut halfway in then just took 3/4 inch chisel and popped the piece out.

Back