Wine problem possibly.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

koolaide187

Reaction score
I looked on the forum and couldn't find anything that related to this so here it is. Just finished my strawberry and raspberry wine. Made 5 gallons of both and they are both at 10% alcohol. They are already clear and ready for bottling. Just 1 thing stopping me. They both have a very harsh throat burning taste. Not like alcohol but more like drinking a sprite after your throat has been dry for a while. Citric acid burn I guess? What might this be and how would i go about smoothing it out?

I'm not sure, I never added carbonation to them and I degassed them a lot. How would I go about checking?

Well i've read if you use a concentrate, which these batches are from. You don't have to check the PH. I was actually thinking about getting a PH level tester Friday and passed on it.

Last edited:
Put a teaspoon of sugar into a bottles worth of wine, see if that smoothes it out at all.

If it is acidic, the sugar will take the edge off it.

If you do need to add sugar to the batch, be sure to add potassium sorbate to prevent fermentation starting again.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

I'm at work right now, I'll try that out and see how it works. I have been stirring it about 2 - 3 times a day for about 5 minutes at a time with the drill and paddle stirrer. It's smoothed out quite a bit already. I think PJD might had been right asking about the carbonation. I had already stirred it a lot but maybe just not enough because it's still degassing quite a bit. One has no more bite and the other has a slight bite so i think it needs just a little more degassing and maybe a teaspoon of sugar to help the medicine go down. Thanks for the help guys.

I'm at work right now, I'll try that out and see how it works. I have been stirring it about 2 - 3 times a day for about 5 minutes at a time with the drill and paddle stirrer. It's smoothed out quite a bit already. I think PJD might had been right asking about the carbonation. I had already stirred it a lot but maybe just not enough because it's still degassing quite a bit. One has no more bite and the other has a slight bite so i think it needs just a little more degassing and maybe a teaspoon of sugar to help the medicine go down. Thanks for the help guys.

koolaide, you really need to get a vacuum pump. Makes degassing easy and painless!

Raspberry is likely to be acidic. This will make it harsh on the palate if not properly dealt with.

Did you balance or check your TA? Total acid. If not it sounds like you have a very acidic wine. To balance you will need a ph meter or some other means of checking total acid.

Latest posts

Back