Wine of the week

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am moving the store to Minnesota! Those dishes look wonderful.

The ice wines are a tremendous bargain. Probably explains why I sell so many!

George
The Ice Wine was really awesome...A great finish to a very good meal...I'm going to have to add this one to my wine cellar...Good job George and thanks.

The reisling ice wine was my first wine I ever made. When it was first done, I didn't like it, 3 months later, didn't like it....... six months later....... didn't like it. It's now been a year and half and when we went to the mountains a couple weeks ago, I figured what the heck...... Lets take a bottle. It was awesome! Wish I had taken a few more bottles. What a difference a little aging can make.

Ah yes. Once again we're back to that bit about being patient!
I've had that bottle since May and it was holding that space in the cellar until just the right meal. We found it!

geocorn said:
I am moving the store to Minnesota! Those dishes look wonderful.

The ice wines are a tremendous bargain. Probably explains why I sell so many!
George,
Pack the store, grab the family and come on up! There's PLENTY of space up here! And we'd love to have you here.

After reading about the ice and sleet in your Halloween post, I think I will re-think the move. Remember, I did a year in Fairbanks, AK and I do remember cold!

Jobe,

I did the same thing with my first ice wine, only I gave away ALL but one bottle. About 18 months later, I found a bottle in the cellar and said, "What the heck" and opened it. I could not believe how good it was and that I had given it all away. That is when I learned about patience in wine making.

Waldo said:
Gonna have to try one of those one of these days !!

Say no more. I'm bottling at the end of the month. I started it back in July so it's a few months old. I was very pleased the last time I sampled. This'll give me an excuse to stop over and meet face to face since we live so close.

Will look forward to it sang....
smiley20.gif

I would like to make a submission to the wine of the week.

This week, we opened up the bottle of Chokecherry Wine that we got in trade at Winestock '06 from the Polish Wine Princess! The weather finally turned a little chilly, so it seemed like the perfect time.

I had tried the Chokecherry Wine at the tasting and found it smooth and delightful. Now, 7 months later, it has really blossomed! The cherry flavor has come forward. A great, rich, warming, desert wine.

Since it is a desert wine, we decided to have it with desert. Being as we are not cooks, we decided to defrost a cheesecake (what else would you have with cherry wine?). We enjoyed it thoroughly.

The next night, the cheesecake was gone, but we still had a half bottle of wine left. I remember my wife telling me that they used pour black currant liqueur over ice cream. So (yes I did it) I tried it over ice cream. Before you think that I'm weird or dissing the wine, you should try it. It was really good!

Thanks Polish Wine Princess! I'm looking forward to see what you may bring next year!!

I'm glad you enjoyed the wine. Putting it on ice cream, I'll have to try that, maybe a cherry ice cream...WOW....Now I'm getting hungry for ice cream...later maybe. Have some different chokecherry recipes going at this time, soon ready to bottle...will see how they turn out. Thanks again for the nice review on the wine

Vaughn,
I feel so negligent! I saw this post but have been so busy that I've hardly had time to breath! Bert has almost abandon me, the great white hunter out trying to slay a deer for me. He's off for the 3rd weekend of the season and he has yet to bring anything home!
smiley5.gif
Enough about my woes.
So glad that you enjoyed the choke cherry wine. It is one of our favorites. It sounds like you had quite an adventure with it! After Bert read your post he was looking for something to serve with dinner and he almost brought up a bottle of the choke cherry. There's only a few bottles left, and he said he could hear your words that the wine had really come around. But he reracked it and brought up something else.
We're hoping to make it to Winestock again this year, but who knows what the next months will bring.
Cheers!

PWP,
I'm sure Bert will get a deer for you- he's just not in a rush. Earlier in the season I sot a six point buck, but watched in disbelief when I got up 5 minutes later and got away-never to be found. 2 days later I saw a spike, so fearing I would go without, I shot it. Today I went out bear hunting and with a lot of deer sign, I used a doe bleat call. 30 seconds later there was a doe. I used a tending grunt call and watched the doe for signs of a buck following. A couple minutes later I saw movement right in front of me and there was a beautiful 10 point buck and me with no tags left!
smiley19.gif
He's hoping for a big one to impress you with!

I know a guy [quite well] that won't get the second deer till the very end of season...he likes to sit in the woods in a tree stand and count deer....

Someone asked him why he didn't take one of the 6 and 8 he'd be watching...he said "because then I would be out of work"...guess it's a 'guy' thing.

Some fellows camp across the road....they won't take deer till the last weekend because they'd have to go home....Geeeee....you wonldn't want to go home and miss the annual 'Deer Hunter's Ball' at the tavern in town the last Saturday of season...Now that is one of the most colorful nights in the area....like 200 cars in a town with a population of 62....It's that 'guy' thing again...They just pour out of the woods.....

So...PWP...Bert is hunting...and he will bring home some meat.....but probably there is a tavern in a town nearby that hosts many 'guy' things...like gun raffles, good music...and maybe even a stripper or two.....?

No, Bert hunted Minnesota 2 weeks ago, and didn't bring me anything. Then he hunted ND last weekend and this weekend. He doesn't go much for the bar scene, but he's sure not allergic to the hunting shacksat the camps. He knows not to come home early. I've made that very clear. I view hunting season as my time to not have him home, asking me to explain why I do everything that I do. Each year I start a wine while he's gone and really enjoy heck out of it. I can do it all by myself, without him bugging me. And yes, there are times that he bugs me.
smiley3.gif
He likes to do things by the numbers (Unless he's doing it and then it's okay) and I just do things by the seat of my pants. I've started Sack Mead, Joe M mead and beet wines while he's been gone, and the 2 meads came out great! (The beet I started 2 weeks ago, and it's pretty so far.) I just need time for me without the S.S. asking me the what, where, when and why of everything. It's hard to fly be the seat of your pants when someone is following you around begging you to record everything!
smiley36.gif
Love him to death
smiley27.gif
but I sure like him being gone for entire weekends!

By the way, Appleman, We need 2 deer in our freezer. So he COULD have brought me one from each state.
smiley36.gif

He'll bring home 'the bacon' [venison] Lots of guys won't get a deer till the last day...becuse they like the 'comradory'....the last day's rules..."ANYTHING GOES...BUCKS, FAWNS AND DOES"
If he comes home with a blaze orange cap that reads "I SURVIVED THE DEER HUNTER'S BALL" and a blaze orange bow-tie clipped to his plaid flannel shirt....then you'll know he had more fun than he's saying...
smiley2.gif

The guys that camp across the road never get a deer before the last day because their wives expect them home when they are done hunting....They stay there for 10 days...things must have gotten kind of 'gamey' in the trailer, they said they threw away their underwear on Thursday...more information that you care to hear????

Yes! Bert brought home the bacon! (And he fried it up in the pan Monday night! We had breakfast for dinner on Monday!
smiley2.gif
)
Bert shot me a nice doe and then brought home another one that was harvested from the more than plentiful herd. He brought it home Sunday and by Monday night the deer was packaged and in the freezer. Nice, sweet, low fat venison will be served at the dinner table this year. My daughter in Washington asked that I make some jerky for her. She'll be here for a few days after Christmas. I'm looking forward to that!

Latest posts

Back