Wine not clearing

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pecka

Reaction score
I posted earlier so sorry for the repetition. My Cabernet has been in the carboy for a year now. PH and acidity test good, wine tastes good...maybe a bit tannic. Everything says bottle except the wine is not clear. I am thinking of doing a gelatin fining now. I also read sparkolloid is an option. Any thoughts or suggestions?

SuperKleer Kc always works well for me and is easier to use then Sparkaloid as you dont have to boil any water. Ive never done the gelatin fining myself and have seen many posts were it didnt help much.

Super kleer is very easy to use and works very well. I would just give a few weeks after adding to get a good compact sediment at the bottom.

That's a long time to not be clear.

Here is what I would do:
Dissolve a half teaspoon of bentonite in a little (very little) water. Stir it into your wine for about 3 or 4 minutes.
Let it set for 24 hours at about 70-75F.
Use SuperKlear.

That bentonite will drop out like a rock within a few hours after adding the SuperKlear. If anything needs drug out of the wine, the bentonite will do it. That bentonite will even act like a polisher and can't hurt your wine.
Let it set for a week or two until clear.

Last edited:
Back