Wine kits, the included yeast, and temp

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yoshi

Junior
Reaction score
When working with a wine kit, for max results, should I change the yeast to match the temp of the room I am going to be fermenting in? The room is about 67º and I plan on fermenting a white, not sure of the type yet, and a Chianti or Pinot Noir. Will the kit yeast be able to handle that tell for both types of wine?

It should be okay. The fermentation just might take a little longer. That temp is actually nice for a white, but reds should be warmer.

When working with a wine kit, for max results, should I change the yeast to match the temp of the room I am going to be fermenting in? The room is about 67º and I plan on fermenting a white, not sure of the type yet, and a Chianti or Pinot Noir. Will the kit yeast be able to handle that tell for both types of wine?
Depending on the exact kit, the yeast will probably be EC-1118. I don't think it will be affected too much by that temperature (except slower fermentation).

The big issue may be degassing as warmer liquids release CO2 easier than cooler liquids.

Let us know the EXACT kit when you're further along in decision making. Maybe somebody will know the included yeast.

UPDATE: Thinking about it a little more, I think that any yeast included with a kit will do OK at 67F (except, as I mentioned, slower fermentation).

Steve

Latest posts

Back