Other Wine kits for starters

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You'd have to be more specific. What is your price range? Do you live near a brew shop or do you have to purchase online? What types of wine do you like/are you interested in making? Do you need a starter equipment kit or just the ingredient kit or both? Have you made wine before? Are you trying to make a great wine or get something cheaper so you can learn the process?

Currently there are no local brew shops. I would be starting from scratch and need to acquire the equipment and contents. For me the largest initiative is to understand the process and to make a decent wine. Typically what is a good starter white (moscato, Riesling or sauvignon Blanc)or red wine (merlot or cab). Looking to spend under $200 in total. I've seen some kits through magazines that go for under $100, with the buckets, concentrates, Etc... Would purchasing a kit with the concentrates, and equipment be the way to go?

Check the vendors on this site. Most will have "start up" packages that include the equipment plus a wine kit. Usually you can choose which kit within a specified group of kits. That's how I got started. Within the lower priced kits, I would recommend doing a white wine - especially something like a Riesling. That way you don't have to be worried about body and mouthfeel and those sorts of things.

Last edited:
I use Fine Vine Wine in Dallas. Shipping on kits is only $9.99. George (owner) is extremely helpful. they do have an equipment kit that comes with either a red wine or white wine. I'd recommend the white as it will be ready sooner so you can move on to bigger and better kits.

Currently there are no local brew shops. I would be starting from scratch and need to acquire the equipment and contents. For me the largest initiative is to understand the process and to make a decent wine. Typically what is a good starter white (moscato, Riesling or sauvignon Blanc)or red wine (merlot or cab). Looking to spend under $200 in total. I've seen some kits through magazines that go for under $100, with the buckets, concentrates, Etc... Would purchasing a kit with the concentrates, and equipment be the way to go?

Matt, if you are willing to drive a little bit into southern Michigan (Dundee), this looks like a decent shop. http://www.homewinery.com/index.html Also, I think there is (or was) a shop in Toledo.

There's also this place, which is not an sponsor of this site unfortunately, and they always have the lowest prices on everything compared to anyone else out there.
labelpeelers.com

Again, cheaper than anyone else....and I have no affiliation with them at all.

Matt I'm in Maumee. Lived on Tournament in Fallen Timbers from 96-07.

I'll PM you. Come over I'll show you what I like to make, test a few and then order. Titgemeier's on Western Ave carries WE product but they are cheaper on Ebay. I have a carboy you can borrow if you need it.

Latest posts

Back