Wine is Bottled

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kahaas56

Reaction score
just bottled my first try at Cabernet Sav this morning, of course I had to taste a little skifter.. I'm very pleased..

Now I have read where you let the bottles stand upright for a few days..is this correct? what does this do to the wine?

I really don't a good spot to lay them down in my basement for continuing aging.

but I have a oversized cooler. Would there be any issues if I lay them down in the cooler with the lid off?

I'm listening!!!

cab sav.JPG

That would be fine.

If you ever want to build a cheap rack, here is what I did:

IMG_1069-1.jpg

2x4's as the uprights and 1x2's across.

Kevin, Nice job!

Letting the bottles stand upright for a few days does nothing to the wine but it allows the cork to fully expand after being squeezed when inserted. The thought is if you laid the bottles on their side immediately, some wine could get between the cork and the neck of the bottle and reduce the efficacy of the seal.

Olusteebus, Nice work on the rack. It appears to be attached to the joists, correct? That would be a very stable unit.

That would be fine.

If you ever want to build a cheap rack, here is what I did:

IMG_1069-1.jpg

2x4's as the uprights and 1x2's across.

nice, how much did you spend, is that red wood or pine and did you use any special router or tool?

I've been thinking to tackle one myself and feel daunted for whatever reason...:tz

Way to go!

Early January of this year I had no homemade wine but now I've got 12 gallons nearly consumed or given away by the wife and I and 24 gallons from still fermenting (1), to aging (2), to about to be bottled (1).

Latest posts

Back