wine in airlock

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trubador

Reaction score
Got home from vacation today and found one of my carboys with wine expanded into the airlock
smiley3.gif

I had it filled obviously too close to the top and with the increasing temps of summertime, it expanded into the airlock. There is no mess outside the airlock, so I assume that it didn't come out, but that some has made it inside.

so, the question is what do I do now? Has the sanitation been compromised? The airlock thingy inside is still floating, but instead of k-meta, it's floating on wine!
smiley13.gif

I am hopeful it is not a complete loss and i can just remove some wine and reattach a sanitized airlock and all will be well.

What do you guys think I should do?

I think you will be OK. as long as you had meta solution in the airlock.

Dump & clean the airlock.
Take some wine out of the carboy.
Replace the now clean & sanitized & filled with kmeta airlock
Enjoy your sample

You most likely are fine but this is a reason to keep your airlock fluids fresh.

wine is pretty forgiving if mishaps like this are caught early....just remember the advice i gave to IBGlowin a coupla weeks ago.....check the wines first...then hug the wife and dog....got it?

Thanks guys!

I replaced the airlock with a new clean/sanitized one. And I lowered the level inside and got a taste.

Tasted Fantastic
smiley1.gif

Been sitting in that carboy for a year now. guess I should bottle it soon seeing how good it tasted.

It was an All Juice Caberlot from Mosti.

Thanks again

- Trub

wade said:
Any sulfite during that year?

yes, about every 4 months, hence the reason the level got to be so high inside. Each time I add sulfite is another eighth to quarter cup of liquid.

y"es, about every 4 months, hence the reason the level got to be so high
inside. Each time I add sulfite is another eighth to quarter cup of
liquid."

UMMMMMMMM...what was the size of this unique carboy ?????
sorry you are begging the question......

or are you mixing k meta w water or someliquid before adding to carboy?

Al Fulchino said:
y"es, about every 4 months, hence the reason the level got to be so high
inside. Each time I add sulfite is another eighth to quarter cup of
liquid."UMMMMMMMM...what was the size of this unique carboy ?????sorry you are begging the question......or are you mixing k meta w water or someliquid before adding to carboy?

I mix 1/4tsp of k-meta with about an eighth of a cup of water.

There is your volume problem!

Don't mix with water, use your wine thief or whatever you use and draw out 2-3 ozs of wine. Mix your K-Meta in with your wine aliquot, stir well, add back to carboy and stir your carboy well with the back end of your long spoon.

Add the airlock and your good to go for another 90 days.

ibglowin said:
There is your volume problem!

Don't mix with water, use your wine thief or whatever you use and draw out 2-3 ozs of wine. Mix your K-Meta in with your wine aliquot, stir well, add back to carboy and stir your carboy well with the back end of your long spoon.

Add the airlock and your good to go for another 90 days.

I always have to learn the hard way! But the good news is that I think the wine is OK, it tasted fine at least.

Latest posts

Back