Alternative Airlock

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

artooks

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

This is my first wine making experience and I purchased a variable capacity Tank from an Italian company called Sansone,
The only thing that I am not very happy is the waterless airlock with two marbles inside, the first time when I installed the airlock
I put the gasket to the airlock first then I inserted it to the lid from above, and locked it in place with a plastic nut which came
with the kit, in my first attempt there was wine leaking under the gasket, so I did everything again and this time everything was ok.
but after 24 hours later I saw some redness which came from the wine in the side of the gasket, I asked a few people, and I was told that this is
normal because the first time the lid is put on the liquid and on top of that there could be expansion but anyway I am wondering if I can fit a normal
air lock in its place ? what are my alternatives a water airlock I mean can you please tell me ?

Attachments

• 309115638_10162823824323079_4256714973113392432_n.jpg
    309115638_10162823824323079_4256714973113392432_n.jpg
    426.6 KB · Views: 0
Not really fond of this airlocks so trying to figure out which one would be more suitable, appreciate any feedback.

I am not familiar with this type and can't see enough of it in the picture to give you any thoughts. Can you link to the manufacturer, or include some pictures of how it assembles and mounts?

You can get airlocks that come with seals so you can drill a hole in a lid and the airlock will seal. If your vent hole is small enough it could be an option, but without seeing what your set up is I can't suggest much else.

Back