WineXpert Wine in airlock

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OilnH2O

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I searched past posts to see if this answer was elsewhere, but figured if it was, maybe it was time to resurrect it for us "senior newbies."

I came back from 10 days vacation, having put everything away under airlock, to find my CellerCraft (grape pack) Washington State Merlot with wine in the airlock -- having pushed out the k-meta that was in there.

Any cause for concern?

It was racked and stirred to drive off CO2 on July 1, then topped with merlot that had been reserved from the previous racking (it was the dregs and sediment having since settled out) that had been under a different airlock. Itappears that the light foam that was on top of the wine is almost like, in suspension, in the top half-inch of the wine at the neck of the carboy.

I'm not so concerned... morewondering what this is -- not having seen this before....
smiley24.gif
Any thoughts???

that has happened to me as the cellar got warmer. It never seemed to cause a problem. As the temperature dropped, so did the wine.

DrtDoctor

Thanks -- that makes sense because the big heat wave that hit the east coast last week went through the rockies first and we followed it (on our trip) to the midwest! We didn't leave the a/c on, so I'm sure the house got warm -- and the "expansion and contraction" happened!

Thanks!
smiley20.gif

Latest posts

Back