Wine has been sitting for almost 60hrs no activity on Airlock??

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigEasy43

Junior
Reaction score
I put my wine down on Sunday Feb 17th in the afternoon, but there has been no activity with the air lock after 60hrs should I be concerned? Everything seems tight and just replaced the airlock today thinking it could have been an issue. The temp of the room is about 73F and have done multiple wines before, so don't know what the issue is. Maybe there isn't an issue, so I take a reading and see if it's dropping?

Is that an airlock on a bucket lid?

I never trust an airlock on a bucket lid to provide any indication of fermentation. Lids on buckets rarely seal well nor keep the seal even if they do work initially.

The Hydrometer readings are the only thing that matter when determining fermentation presence and progress.

Is that an airlock on a bucket lid?

I never trust an airlock on a bucket lid to provide any indication of fermentation. Lids on buckets rarely seal well nor keep the seal even if they do work initially.

The Hydrometer readings are the only thing that matter when determining fermentation presence and progress.
Yes bucket lid!!! I will check this evening with hydrometer to see where its at.

Hydrometer check for sure...but, I usually look in the bucket. Is it fizzing? Is there a cap/foam? It’s pretty easy to tell if it’s going if you know what to look for.

So I went home last night and checked on my wine. Opened the lid and it was fizzing a lot, so took a reading with the Hydrometer and it has dropped from 1.092 to 1.076. Also after putting the lid back on the airlock has been going crazy go figure. Thanks for the help.

Also, if activity seems slow during the primary fermentation I take the top off once or twice a day and stir the wine to add oxygen and probably wouldn’t hurt to add some yeast Nutrients either

Last edited:
I don’t trust the bucket lid airlock. If it was fizzing inside & not bubbling in the airlock, you probably had a leak somewhere.let it workout to your desired hydrometer reading than transfer to a clean carboy. If it’s a big Red I would at this time pitch my Malo culture.

I don't bother with the big bucket any more. I'm using the Fermonster with a drilled 4" screw on cap. Initially I just put cheesecloth over the top. Towards the end of fermentation, I use the cap with an airlock. The only issue I've had with the Fermonster is that I ruined one by putting boiling water in it to dissolve betonite. Dissolving it in a bowl with hot water and a whisk works much better - costs less, too!!

Latest posts

Back