Wine has a head on it

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ernest T Bass

Reaction score
My grape wine developed a small head on it, it's in the neck and doesn't completly cover the surface of the wine. Reckon whats going on?

Semper Fi

Later Bud

Bud you will have to tell us where your wine is at. Good info results in good answers. No info results in no answers.

Basically the foam is CO2 coming out of the wine. That is a good thing. During an active primary ferment you can get a fair amount of CO2, thus lots of foam. The foam will be more noticable in a jug or carboy because it narrows into the neck. Doing the main ferment in a large pail will spread the foam across a larger surface and not be as noticable.

Steve

I am so relieved to read that. I could not figure out why we had white stuff at the top. Must have been CO2. Thanks!

All of my wines so far have heads on them while fermenting...I think it's ok

Head, not to worry

Thanks for all the answers and I will give more info the next time.
Sounds like eveything is going to be okay with my wine
Thanks again. What would I do without all this great help?

Semper Fi

Later Bud

Yea I have ten 6.5 gallon carboys in secondary fermentation and all of them had heads on them right after I transfer them from primary. After a couple weeks the head breaks up into small patches of bubbles with a small bead around the edge at top of carboy.

Back