Wine from Juice

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vcasey

Reaction score
I did the wine from grape thing a couple of years ago. It was fun but hard work because I really don't have the right equipment and the drive is to far to rent so everything was done by hand. So this year we decided to try the juice and some grapes for hubby to dehydrate.

20111001_140309_PA010031_Deskto.JPG

1 Chianti because hubby has been asking for a couple of years and is very excited I'm using fresh juice.

20111001_140515_PA010038_Deskto.JPG

2 Muscato, 1 will be a sparkling wine and the other a pyment with local OB Honey.

20111001_135921_PA010040_Deskto.JPG

While I was playing the next BPV was ready to be racked on to the coconut rum. Behind it is the pina colada wine.

20111001_135554_PA010042_Deskto.JPG

You will love the "juice" thing. Been doing it for years.

Boy have these things gone nuts. The Chianti sounds like a machine gun,
and the Muscato is not far behind. The pyment is fermenting but at a
much gentler pace. I had to partially snap on the lids to keep my ever so curious dog out of the juice and still the airlocks are working over time. Between the grapes drying and the juice fermenting it smells very nice in the house.

Chianti

20111003_153612_PA030044_Deskto.JPG

Muscato

20111003_153710_PA030046_Deskto.JPG

Pyment

20111003_153854_PA030047_Deskto.JPG

And just because it's a beautiful Florida day

20111003_153953_PA030048_Deskto.JPG

Looking good all the way around!

Are they fermenting in their juice buckets? Sure looks like its a LONG way down!

Nice pics one and all.

Hey we have nice weather here today also. The sune half shined for about 15 minutes for the first time in a week. It has been raining every day for the last week again. My son came in a few minutes ago and said he needed a boat or barge to float the grape lugs in and out to pick them. I'm stuck inside today pressing a bunch of batches of wine. Oh Shucks!

We had sun showers for a week with a bunch of rain, thunder and lightening, it was strange, bright blue skies and storms. It was cool under the canopy, but very warm in the sun. Really a very nice day and my jeep has asked for me to take its top down - maybe tomorrow.

Mike, the only one left in the original juice bucket is the pyment, which is just over 3 gallons (3 gallons juice + 3 lbs honey). I removed 2 gallons of juice for sweetening both the pyment and the Muscato later. It seems to be the one with a nice gentle fermentation going so all will be fine. The other 2 (5.4 gallons each) are in my 7.9 gal fermenters and I stirred these up just for the photo (gotta make it look really bubbly).

Racked all to the secondaries today. They let me take a pic before being covered up to start aging just a bit.

20111009_173326_PA090058_Deskto.JPG

Yes, them are pretty -

but the fermentation aroma is wonderful -

and the bubbles are fun to watch too~!!

good job

rrawhide

Some new wine makers' common mistakes is the use of wrong juices, but I think you didn't have it wrong.

If I told my wife you were making Muscato she would be sitting on your front doorstep with a straw waiting for a taste. She LOVES!!!!!!!Muscato wine whether it be still or sparkling.

Could I ask where you got the juice from???

BOB

Bob we all love Muscato here as well and it is a shame it can be so challenging to find. One of our local produce (I think) folks has grapes, juice, olives and such shipped in from Cali every year. Muscato was available in juice buckets or grapes. I went with the juice and so far have been very pleased and I think even the pyment is going to be a winner as the OB Honey really brings out the citrus.
The company is Pardo Wine Grapes and yes the folks are from Italy and when picking up our order it was like being in a very friendly foreign country. A true adventure all by itself. You may want to make some calls to HBSs near you and see it they know anyone who ships in juice/grapes. Or you can always be like Mike and order from George and make the drive to pick up since he isn't shipping this and I have no idea if Muscato is one the list. Another alternative is to go through Peter Brehm Vineyards and see if they sell Muscato. Good luck in your search.

Back