Wine diamonds/Tartaric Acid drop out

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vinoors

Reaction score
Last winter, I had my first experience with wine diamonds. After they dropped out, my wine seemed to be noticeably flat and lacked mouthfeel. Given that my wine this year has a PH around 3.85, I don't want to lose anymore acid and I don't want to correct for acid (trying to make do with just the grapes). So I'm curious, what is the best way to get wine diamonds back into the wine? If I avoid racking in winter and wait until spring will they naturally absorb back into the wine? If they are still there, can you try to crush them/mix them up with the bottom layer of juice and rack with everything else?

I know cold stabilization is usually preferred and I am trying to do the opposite.

Keep in mind that potassium bitartrate precipitation (aka. wine diamonds) naturally occurs because the wine is super-saturated with potassium and tartaric acid. The precipitation is natural and will occur whether you want it to or not. The crystals will dissolve in hot water but they will again precipitate with time. Potassium bitartrate is insoluble in alcohol which is how the wine becomes super-saturated as it ferments.

It is concerning that your pH is already 3.85. Any precipitation will drive the pH higher and further increase your risk of oxidation/spoilage. Since you are worried about losing acid and having a flabby wine, you may want to proactively add 0.5g/L of tartaric acid back into the wine. This is a fairly minor addition and will help to lower the pH. Acid adjustment is standard practice at wineries. Another option is to blend it with another (lower pH) wine to balance the acid to your taste.

I haven't seen it drop when it is over 3.6 to begin with. The fermentation and malolactic processes tend to metabolize acid and drives the pH higher. The chemical process of the potassium bitartrate precipitation drives pH higher when it starts over 3.65 or lower when it starts below 3.65.

Back