Wine consentrate and adding peach

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nickallen

Reaction score
I have just finished fermenting a 6gallon pail of wine and want to add brewers peach purée to it to flavor it. How much should I use and how long should I let the wine sit on it? Also should I mix the wine during this process?

Nick, you are probably going to get a sweet wine out of this. If it is finished fermenting, the wine will take on the sugar of the peach puree. If you are looking for a sweeter wine, you are fine. If you just want a peach background flavor, you would have needed to add the puree in the primary. I have done it both ways, flavoing a Muscat with Apricot puree after fermentation and flavoing a Barolo with Blackberry puree during fermentation.

As faf as how much to add, do some bench testing. It is a matter of taste and what appeals to you is the "right" amount.

Rocky said:
Nick, you are probably going to get a sweet wine out of this. If it is finished fermenting, the wine will take on the sugar of the peach puree. If you are looking for a sweeter wine, you are fine. If you just want a peach background flavor, you would have needed to add the puree in the primary. I have done it both ways, flavoing a Muscat with Apricot puree after fermentation and flavoing a Barolo with Blackberry puree during fermentation.

As faf as how much to add, do some bench testing. It is a matter of taste and what appeals to you is the "right" amount.

Rocky should I mix this or just let it sit and how long is ideal

If you have stabilzed the wine with k-meta and k-sorbate, I would stir the puree in and let it clear. If you have not stabilzed, I would stir in the puree and watch the wine for a week or so for the possibility of re-fermentation. If it begins to re-ferment, let it go until it is dry (i.e. SG 0.992 or so) and at that point you can make the decision whether or not to back-sweeten. If it does not begin to re-ferment after a week or so, I would just let it clear, stabilize it and bottle it.

Latest posts

Back