Wine Cellars n Such

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waldo

Reaction score
Need some input on this one. I have been contemplating buying a used refrigator and using it to store my bottled wine in. (Assuming I eventually get some to the point of being ready to bottle.)I think i can set the thermostat where I could keep the temp at around 55-60 degrees.

Would this be suitable storage for wines?

Yes, temp. wise. Humidity might be a little low, should be I think 65% humidity and 55*F. Well hell, actually I ain't really sure about the humidity, it might should be closer to 55%.

The refrigerator will work fine with some thermostat modification. The humidity will be low but to correct this all you have to do is put a small pan or bowl filled with water in it somewhere it will not get knocked over. I have a 50 bottle wine cooler and this is how it keeps it's humidity at the correct level. Edited by: Underboss

Thanks Gang...I believe it may be doable. I do have a underground storm cellar too that might work even better. I think I may put my weather station down there for a couple of days and check some temps and humidity. just not sure what it might do in the winter though, Edited by: Waldo

I think the storm cellar would be ok in the winter, but in the summer it would be way to warm without modifications. Been there, done that. Also, the humidity is way too high in most. You will grow mold on the corks. All that said, please prove me wrong!

smiley36.gif

Thanks Hippie.....Scratch taht idea then. MaybeI will jush shry and keep it all dhrank up then there will be no shorage problem
smiley36.gif

Marshina....Shud I shart jush drenkin right from je karboy and shave all dat bottlin?

So picture this....Waldo in his recliner...Rooting for the razorbacks with a carboy of wine perched on a step ladder in the middle of the living room with a bundle of hoses extending out to each friend present. Sipping merrily as the Razorbacks whup up on the Tennessee Volunteers
smiley36.gif

Hey Hippie...I think I just came up with a label for my Strawberry Wine
smiley36.gif

2005-08-28_164149_strawberry.jpg

Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!

Pigsssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssss!!!

Sooieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!! !

Latest posts

Back