wine bottle display

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ctshep97

Reaction score
i have a freind that has some very expensive wine with fancy looking bottles that would like to drink the wine and then keep the bottles for display.she asked if she drinks it would i put corks back in and put wrappers back on the top.the question is she want to put water or something back in the bottles ,any idea of something that would not sour and mess the corks up. maybe water and food coloring and some k meta???? any ideas??? t

Sounds like it would work, but why go to all that trouble? Just drink it and get some real stuff to replace it!

Why not treat those bottle just like the ones you use for home wine making? Sanitize, fill with wine and cork.

So don't remove the labels. Just rinse out the bottles when empty, sanitize and refill with wine. A year later she can open them, drink the wine, and repeat.

Just make sure she knows/remembers what the bottle was refilled with! If mine aren't labeled, I forget pretty quickly what's in them - let alone if it wasn't something I made. It would be pretty funny to refill a pinot grigio bottle with cabernet - and see the expression on a guest's face when they are looking at a "white" wine that has "discolored."

If the objective is to display the bottles; there is no need to put anything in them. Just rinse. Recork and cap if she wants.
Cork drying will not be a issue on a empty bottle.

The food coloring would work fine I believe, maybe it would need replacing after a few years, maybe!

There is a process of bottle blackening, but I don't know if it can be done and save an existing label.

The bottles are "dummies" and look great.

If you drink the expensive wine; refill the fancy bottle with colored water, re cork, and place in a prominent location on the public view wine rack; Is that like "Having your wine and drinking it too"?

Back