Wild Foraging for winemaking

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When they say raisins and dates they are probably saying add a sugar and mineral source to create healthy yeast. Another option without the flavor impact is add chemical forms as Fermaid O and tannin and yeast energizer and acid blend . . . etc (Jack Keller has a dandelion which did this).
Dried cranberries have oil sprayed on them, they are not a good choice. Fresh cranberry would work but assume the nutrient content is low and supplement. Rose hip is from the apple family I would add at least as much nutrient as an apple Wine.
Also, ive noticed that many recipes call for raisins or dates. Would dried cranberries or rose hips work the same. I dont like raisins, i cant taste them in my wines but cranberries or rose hips might add a hint of flavor if they work the same.
Unusual foraging tries:
clover; didn’t like the flavor seemed herb lost the clover flowery aroma
pine needle; camp fire smokey, unusual
gensing; dominant bitter notes, unusual
sumach; good acid notes and stable red color, have put it in two batches as the acid source ex watermelon with sumach
black locust flowers; wow for aroma, needs to be formulated with all nutrition like a dandelion

When they say raisins and dates they are probably saying add a sugar and mineral source to create healthy yeast. Another option without the flavor impact is add chemical forms as Fermaid O and tannin and yeast energizer and acid blend . . . etc (Jack Keller has a dandelion which did this).
Dried cranberries have oil sprayed on them, they are not a good choice. Fresh cranberry would work but assume the nutrient content is low and supplement. Rose hip is from the apple family I would add at least as much nutrient as an apple Wine.

Unusual foraging tries:
sumach; good acid notes and stable red color, have put it in two batches as the acid source ex watermelon with sumach
black locust flowers; wow for aroma, needs to be formulated with all nutrition like a dandelion
one can say you're very persistent , and i thought i like to experiment, you got me beat hands down,,,,
Dawg

It is amazing how many things one can try when replacing a $6/lb ingredient in a jar which cost us 30 cents to fill. It’s not just me, picture a food show where vendors are showing a calorie reduced snack filled with ground limestone (calcium carbonate powder)
one can say you're very persistent , and i thought i like to experiment, you got me beat

Unusual foraging tries:
Oooh sumac, never thought of that, it makes a nice wild lemonade why not wine?

Unusual foraging tries:
I make a lot of wild teas, i don't much care for the pines. I thought about red clover and raspberry, i was thinking as aromatic as it is that red clover would do nicely in a wine.

Back