WI First Planting Help

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WalnutRidge

Junior
Reaction score
Hello! We're just getting started in WI (5a). We are going to plant some Marquette and Frontenac, hopefully this year. I have three main questions.

1. We have decent loamy soil. Could we plan to plant already this spring, if we have space plotted out? If so, should we backhoe the rows and let them sit for a month before planting, or just mow, dig off the grassy top later, and plop vines into the ground?

2. Alternatively and related, some say you should have the soil turned over in the fall and let it sit for the winter, then plant in the spring. How important is this, and is it actually necessary?

3. Does anyone have Midwest experience/problems with deer, raccoons, or turkeys? If so, are they a problem once the vines are fruiting or right out of the gates?

Thanks a ton for any and all help - so excited to jump into this with you all!

Hey Havlikn why not post your reply to walnutridge here so others can see and learn from it also? If everyone just sent private messages around not much would be here to learn from. I purposely have held off replying to this so others can jump in with their opinions. I try to help out when I feel I can but I encourage others to do so also. I am even busier than normal this time of year as I am trying to get pruning going a bit faster. I have been pruning the bulk of my seven acres of vines by myself and the weather isn't helping a lot. I would gladly let others help with this until I can get a bit of time to answer further.

1. We started our vineyard on a half acre of alfalfa. While everyone thought we were nuts, I sprayed the rows with glyphosate and continued to mow. If you don't want to use glyphosate, good luck hand weeding everything. Now into year three, the rows have turned into prominently grass. You must stay on top of spraying and mowing if you wish to be successful.

2. We didn't get onto our land until the spring and it hasn't caused any setbacks of yet for us.

3. All of the above. As soon as the animals see green you will have issue. I would anticipate spending a couple hundred dollars on a fence off the bat to save your investment.

Thanks for sharing that havlikn. I really do agree with you on the answers. Many folks don't like glyphosate but it does a good job in killing the grass initially so the vines can grow. Without killing the grass it is an uphill battle trying to keep it down and the vines growing.

Glyphosate can be a product you use for a few years and then switch over to safer herbicides. I understand that there may be residual product in the soil for a while, but you have to weigh out your options. If you have time to hand weed a half acre, I'd like to have you over to come do mine. But it is not a reality

It is a personal thing as to what weed killers to use. I have a small grapevine area (like about 50 vines). And I grow vegetables close by. So I never use any strong weed killers. Glyphosate does not work well with my main weed problem, the Star of Bethlehem. The deep underground bulbs will come up again.

But if you have a large vineyard, there is not much choice...

I personally have not had a lot of problems with critters. My father in law has many young vines eaten to the ground every year from deer.

As far as getting started I agree with the above. I tilled out the rows and sprayed several times that first couple years. now it almost takes care of itself except the spraying and the pruning and mowing and picking and oh ya the spraying. Would not change it for anything.

Good luck

Latest posts

Back