White wine tastes bland and a little like hard liquor

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Araisis

Junior
Reaction score
Just tasted my white wine which has Finally cleared, first time ever making wine so i probably did a million things wrong, followed a recipe I found online. Also made some red at the same time, that one turned out ok.

Anyway, i can't tell if it's oxidized or not by the color so i am attaching a photo. the first time i tasted it, it didn't taste sweet; but i just took a second sip from the small glass i poured and it does taste a little sweet; but the alcohol content seems to be pretty high, although i haven't taken a reading.

my husband said something about the lead turning into alcohol, i hope someone can help. you can ask me any questions, thanks guys : )

image.jpg

It will lose that "rocket fuel" taste with age, and mellow out a bit. And it will taste a little more sweet with time sometimes

Now that I come back and look again, why did you not fill up the bottle all the way? In order to preserve the wine it really needs to be filled to with 1 inch of the cork.

Also, lead can not turn into alcohol. That would be alchemy lol (;

Chances are it is just either fermented kind high, or it is just young. Give it some time and it will be great ( :

Too much sugar and not enough fruit can give that kind of taste, but whatever, it will settle with age.

What's up with the label? Did you leave the old label on the bottle? Just curious.... I've never bothered to put a bar code on any of my wine ; )

Hey guys, thanks for taking the time to read this and trying to help out. I started the whole process with this wine around the middle of July, 2012....I don't know when you are supposed to start counting for the aging...but I started it at that time and let it ferment for around 2 weeks. In any case, the bottle was filled up all the way (minus 1 inch), I just opened it and poured a glass, that's why there's some missing. My thoughts exactly when I looked at the wine I thought...." Looks fine to me, and it actually looks really pretty and clear"..... And then I tasted it and was like "oh my god!!!!! it doesn't taste fine or pretty, I think I made vodka by accident!" But I had my husband taste it ( i had to actually force him, he was scared, lol) and he says it tastes ok, so maybe there's something wrong with my taste buds.

This was my first time ever making wine and I only made a gallon red and a gallon white just in case they turned out horrible, but the red was pretty good and the white will probably taste better to me tomorrow or something, so I think I will give this whole thing a try again, it's actually a pretty enjoyable hobby.

Thanks again guys, I will be coming back with more questions if I come across anything, I like how helpful everyone is on this forum

Sorry, just read these other comments after I posted my other response.

Seth, yeah...I don't know what he was talking about, or maybe I misunderstood him ; )

Doc, yes...it's possible that I didn't use enough fruit, I actually remember thinking that I could have used a little bit more grapes, but oh we'll, live and learn.

Bailey, I love your screen name btw. Yes, I used an old bottle and left the label on it ( don't worry, it was super duper sanitized and sterilized)
: )

Do you remember how many lbs of grapes you have used? what was your method of juice extraction? Did you add sugar to the must?

Dont worry, we will get you going in the right direction if you are willing to learn.

Hehe yes, you must have "misunderstood" him lol

I once had a friend who made rocket fuel based on the assumption that...
A) Sugar is sweet
B) I like sweet wine
C) So I'll add lots of sugar.

It's a common misconception. I'm sure everyone of us has done this at least once.

Hi Seth,

I think it was about 6 pounds give or take and I crushed them by hand for a long time, making sure they were all crushed. Yes, I added about 2 cups of sugar to the must. I saw a lot of recipes using frozen fruit juice from concentrate but i don't even drink juice concentrate, the only juice i drink comes from real fruit and my juicer, lol. I really just wanted to try to make some wine from real fruit and not too many chemicals, I am definitely willing to learn : ) maybe I will try other fruits as well.

Hey Seth, do you have any simple recipes for 1 gallon? I don't want to make any more than this until I get better.

Jimmy,
The thing is, I don't like sweet wine at all; but I also don't like hard liquor; lol...yesterday this is what the wine tasted like to me, but I think I was having a weird day and maybe it'll taste a little different today. If not, I'll just let it sit for a few months and try it again : )

There are plenty of cheap and good recipes that are out there that you can try and learn with.

Are you after grape wine or fruit wine? Mead perhaps?

Guys,
Forgot to ask if you know anything about organic wine making? I really don't want to drink a ton of chemicals. I used raisins as a natural nutrient instead of using pills or vitamins and whatever else people use. I did use Campden tablets because I was scared not to, i was afraid the wine would spoil or something; but I really didn't want to.

Sorry, I know you probably have better things to do than become my personal wine making teachers.

Hey, should I be posting this in the beginners forum?

There is the possibility that the fruit you chose was especially sweet. Adding sugar without the use of a hydrometer will lead to unpredictability.
I would repeat the process almost exactly but use a hydrometer on the must before you add sugar. Another thing I would change is use the juicer to extract the juice and save the skins but separate the seeds. Much easier than hand crushing. You can add the skins (juicer pulp) and just pick the seeds out for malolactic fermentation.
Many may frown on this. But if you're not making large batches and not entering your wine in any competitions I wouldn't foresee any problems.
No need to go out and buy a $300 crusher and a $400 press for $12 worth of grapes.
With that being said please understand I have never used a juicer for grape wine. But that's only because I pick/purchase 1000 kg of grapes every October...I don't know how well a juicer would hold up to that amount. :)

It is possible to make wine with out additives. I personally do not recommend it.. But it is possible if your procedure is really good and if you like dry wine. Well atleast it is a little more surefire if you like dry wine.

It would depend on your definition of organic.

If you mean using no sterilization "chemicals", no homogenized yeast cultures, and a very small environmental footprint. I would not recommend it.
My friends father in law makes traditional Portuguese wine. He does not kill off the bacteria in the must, does not sterilize his equipment chemically, does not add yeast and uses an apple instead of an airlock.
His wine is disgusting.

Latest posts

Back