White wine tastes bland and a little like hard liquor

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seth, I am thinking maybe grape wine. I never even thought of making mead, thinking it would be too sweet for my taste, but I've never tasted it so I don't know. I recently saw a recipe for ginger wine and thought it sounded good.

Maybe I will just stick with the additives for now since it will be a while before my procedure is "really good" lol

Jimmy,
Will definitely try you suggestions. And using a juicer will definitely be easier than my hands.

Yeah, I definitely won't be entering my wine in any competitions. They asked me to bring a bottle of my wine at my local home brewing supply store, said they would give me a discount on some of the classes they teach. I was like, ummm...I'll just pay full price, thanks....lol

Jimmy,

Ewwwww, gross....I didn't mean I want to be that organic, lol. I do sterilize my equipment chemically and I use yeast and Campden tablets....I just don't want to use a ton of additives, that's all.

If you are not into chemicals and would like to try a mead you could make a JOAM. All the ingredients you need can be purchased at the grocery store and it is almost guaranteed to come out well if you follow the directions.. BTW get a hydrometer. Its important!

You don't need classes. The process is very simple and is outlined on both this forum and the Internet in detail.
You will need a hydrometer and the willingness to take on an endeavor. Everything else is trial and error.
I can not stress the importance of owning a hydrometer enough.

As for "organic" wines. Look around for local fruits. The environmental impact of purchasing grapes imported from Argentina when you live in an area ripe with peaches, pears or strawberries can be avoided and is much more beneficial to your health.

You guys, I actually have a hydrometer, ( please don't shoot me) i just didn't take a reading before when I first started, so I didn't think it was possible to take a reading now. Trust me, I won't be making these mistakes next time.

Jimmy,

I actually get a lot of my fruit and vegetables from a local orchard/winery, better for you and is cheaper since I pick it myself. I like supporting local orchards and farmers market, thus giving a boost to the local economy : ) picking your own fruits and vegetables isn't for everyone though, I once took a friend strawberry picking in June and she complained and whined the entire time about how hot it was and how much work it was. I was like, "nevermind, just go wait in the car...and who told you to wear 4 inch heels"

Araisis said:
Guys,
Forgot to ask if you know anything about organic wine making? I really don't want to drink a ton of chemicals. I used raisins as a natural nutrient instead of using pills or vitamins and whatever else people use. I did use Campden tablets because I was scared not to, i was afraid the wine would spoil or something; but I really didn't want to.

Sorry, I know you probably have better things to do than become my personal wine making teachers.

Hey, should I be posting this in the beginners forum?

The best approach to organic wines is with the source of the fruit. Get fruit that don't have pesticides, weed killers, or genetically modified. Other than that, follow modern wine making techniques (cultures wine yeast, potassium metabisulfite, ect) and you'll be happy. It's ok to use yeast nutrient. It's better to use it than have your wine smell like sulfur.

Lol. 4 inch heels for fruit picking.

That is classic funny.

I wonder if Gucci will put out designer mosquito net hats this year?

Starting over

I would ask the same question, what was the basis of your wine ? And what type or style of one wasn't supposed to be? Did you keep track of any records basically starting specific gravity, this is what we really should know start you off the right direction constructively.

I always laugh to myself when people talk about 'organic' foods. Everything with carbon in it is 'organic'. The only edible thing I can think of that is not organic is salt. So when someone comes up with 'organic' salt, I will have to give that a try.

As far as your wine goes, 'preservatives' like potassium sorbate can generally be skipped without calamity (in a dry wine), but potassium metabisulfite should be seen more as an antibacterial. The alcohol in the wine does the most to preserve the final product, and that's not an additive you are trying to avoid, is it?

Yeah Jimmy, she actually wore those things to the orchard, the ladies there were looking at her as if she was crazy, I wanted to say " I don't know her, she's not with me". She actually thought there was something wrong with me for wearing shorts and sneakers..." Why can't you wear something girlie"... I'm like....."no, I am not wearing a tutu and heels to the orchard, are you crazy"

To be honest with you, I was there to pick strawberries to try to make strawberry wine, but them she ended up taking half of what i picked while she was in the car so I had to scratch that plan...ugh! Never again....now that I think about it, I don't know why I am friends with this person, hmmm...

Anyway, thanks to everyone for helping : )

That's hilarious. Better than the time my friend showed up in white pants for a pressing.

If you will put your bottles away, stored on their sides, in a cold dark location and forget completely about them for at least 3 months you will find that your wine has improved quite a lot.

At 6 months, you will be thinking you are pretty good.

At a year, you will think you are a genius. :)

Back