white wine has become sparkling!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Siwash

Reaction score
My moscato has been aging in a 54L demi since the fall.. made from juice... noticed bubbles rising to the top and a 1/8 of an inch of fizzy bubbles at the surface.

I think this started about a month ago when I removed about 100 ml of it to drink.. I topped it up again with some commercial chardonnay I had laying around...

What gives?

Was this from a kit or fresh fruit? Sounds like you missed an addition of k-meta. And sorbate if you back sweetened at all and de-gassing. Sorry just noticed you had written juice. Did you add meta after the initial addition?

Last edited:
the instructions were to just ferment then rack twice... they juice was already adjusted by the seller. Came refrigerated in the sealed pails

No wasI supposed to add meta?

You always need to add kmeta once a white wine like muscato is done fermenting to keep bacteria from growing. Usually add after the first racking.

If you don't have a 0.1 gram scale, Start by adding 1/2 tsp kmeta in 1/2 c of water or wine for your 54L.

You always need to add kmeta once a white wine like muscato is done fermenting to keep bacteria from growing. Usually add after the first racking.

If you don't have a 0.1 gram scale, Start by adding 1/2 tsp kmeta in 1/2 c of water or wine for your 54L.

Hope it's not too late.. where can I get kmeta? Most wine making places? I don't have a 0,1 gram scale.

thanks!

The k-meta is even more important if you sweetened it any after fermentation. If so you needed to add sorbate also. If you did not sweeten then it is probably a wild malolactic bacteria.

Hope it's not too late.. where can I get kmeta? Most wine making places? I don't have a 0,1 gram scale.

thanks!

Your local home brew or wine store should have kmeta(potassium meta bisulfite) powder. I would recommend getting the powder versus campden tablets.

If you like your muscato sweet, then also pick up some potassium sorbate while you are there. You would need to add that before adding any extra sugar to sweeten the wine.

Did not sweeten after the a fact... would have preferred a drier wine, actually... you live and learn.

I did add the preservative that was given to me when I bought the juice. I am pretty sure it was potassium meta bisulfite now that I think about it. I have to check.. sorry pretty new to wine making. Made it with my dad for years but he is old school and he didn't add anything to his wine (he crushed fresh grapes).

I am going to see what I added as I have some notes and info stored away in the basement.

Thanks

wine

Intresting. wife and i have a reisling that is 18 monts old in bottles and we noticed some sediment in the bottom of the 4 bottles we have left. any ideas

wine diamonds

Ok then my question is, still drinkable? did not notice in my other white wines, which are much younger.

Intresting. wife and i have a reisling that is 18 monts old in bottles and we noticed some sediment in the bottom of the 4 bottles we have left. any ideas

isn't this hijack?

you know, there is a "new thread" tab available to you.

Latest posts

Back