White wine bugs

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That looks like little shavings of plastic, like those that might come off of a drill bit when you drill a hole in a primary fermenting bucket to install a spigot. If that's not what it is, I don't have a clue. Can you dig one out of the carboy and see what it is?

Gotta agree with John, that has plastic shavings written all over it.

I wish it was plastic, I'm afraid to taste it, obit would read "body had to be cremated for public safety". bk

Can you pluck or suck some out and touch it? If it's isn't hard plastic then I'm perplexed too. Any chance you were using a metal stirring tool in the primary bucket that was shaving the sides as you stirred? Perhaps it's from the manufacturer. If it's a kit, I'd send a pic to the manufacturer along with the production information from the box and see if they had a malfunction.

If they are soft and organic then I'm perplexed and just ask that you keep your wine away from mine :)

I wish it was plastic, I'm afraid to taste it, obit would read "body had to be cremated for public safety". bk

Have you taken some out to see if it's plastic? How do you know it isn't?

I agree that they look just like plastic shavings either from your primary or a spoon.

Really sharp picture at least! What type of wine is this? Kit? Something else? Agree with the others that it looks like plastic shavings or sorts. Definitely dig some out and see if its hard or soft.

Have you pulled a piece out of there to see what it is? Did you stir in your plastic fermenter with a stainless spoon and maybe shave off some bucket plastic with it? I just can't believe that's not plastic until you have it in your hand.

Looks like plastic shavings to me also. Degassing rod on drill? If not that, maybe a few strings that got left behind from an unraveling place on the cloth you used to cover the primary. I'd fish some out, rinse them off and then examine if they felt like plastic or thread. If it is something nasty I suspect they would break up during the rinse process.

Pam in cinti

I hate to admit it but I think it's plastic shavings from the crusher/destemmer in Chile, pieces did not dissolve when I rub them between my fingers and were springy, I'm going to rack study for a few days then blast it with some SO2, thanks everybody for the replies. bk

That happened to me once.I had my daughter degas and she shredded the inside of my pail.
I recommend filtering just to make sure you don't bottle anything unwanted

Latest posts

Back