White Thread-like things floating in my plum wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That was an infection, this came on way to quick and is whispey which depicts fermentation.

open, put your thumb over it and sake, if it builds up preasure, it refermented

You didnt add sorbate???????? Its fermentation for sure!!! YOU HAVE TO ADD SORBATE! Unless you sterile filter a wine you have to add sorbate. Cod stabilization just puts the yeast into hibernation!
Glad you said that and not me. I had a guy at BT that worked at a winery tell me cold crashing(stabilizing) works just fine. I decided not to argue but felt bad people believed him and would probably get some bottle bombs because of it.
I seldom sorbate but I wait a long time to bottle and ferment dry without back sweeten

IMO that is risky also without sterile filtering. Most yeast will die after starving for some time but some yeast can live in on dormancy.

Very funny running wolf.

This is my first attempt at making wine and made the mistake of not understanding and getting more info on "stabilize your wine'. (would it kill them to say add sorbate?????)

I only have nine dessert bottles. so now I have to open and empty the bottles, pour wine in glass carboy (or plastic bucket) add sorbate 1/4 teaspoon to my one gallon. Does that sound right? how long before i can bottle?

I appreciate your help

Sorbate is 1/2 tsp per gal, make sure you add metabisulphite at same time , 1/4 tsp per 5 gal or it will cloud up.

Typically after the wine has cleared (4-6 weeks). Rack off of sediment and age. Fruit wines and whites about 5-6 months. Reds a year.

Once you back sweeten you should wait about a week before bottling to ensure fermentation doesn't start again. Use correct amount of sulfite and sorbate.

Thanks for the information. After carefully measuring the sorbate and sulfite, can I add them together in one cup of wine, mix and then add to carboy? Or do they need to be added separately?

I don't plan on adding any more sugar. Just to be sure of the word "back-sweeten" ....does that mean adding additional sugar just before bottling? I added sugar at the beginning of the process, the taste is very nice.

I plan on transferring plum wine to glass carboy but have another question...if the wine is actually fermenting now, should I wait until it is finished and then add the sorbate (with kmeta)? And if so, should I just add kmeta when I transfer the wine? thanks,,,,once again

Do not add either until it's thru fermenting. Rack off of lees and add 1/4 teaspoon sulfite per 5 gallons. Add fining agent if u like. Let it clear.

Then rack again and you could add sorbate at this time with a pinch of sulfite and allow wine to age. Afterwards backsweeten, wait a week and bottle.

Patience and you will be very happy

Back sweetening is adding some type of sweetener after fermentation is complete and after adding sorbate. Sugar added in the beginning gets converted to alcohol through the fermentation process.

thank you
...ok back in carboy, but as I thought need to top up a bit. I think I would like to try marbles but need to purchase them. Can I wait a few days before topping up? what's the absolute longest time before topping? It is a one gallon and needs topping up an inch at the neck.

If it is sulfited you would be okay maybe up to a week if kept cool. Bacteria are relentless and will try to gain a foothold. I would try to top that off as soon as you can.

I have been looking for glass pieces we could gently lower into a carboy in a mesh bag instead of marbles but no avail.

If using marbles sanitize well first and do not drop them in. Put into a mesh bag or clean stocking and lower in.

Begin saving some glass jars and magnum bottles. These can be used to hold odd amounts of wine to aleviate the headspace problem.

Latest posts

Back