White substance coating secondary

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mxsteve625

Reaction score
I have two 5 gallon secondaries of Muscadine from the same 15 gallon primary. One 5 gallon is clear the other 5 gallon has what appears to be a white powder forming on the inside surfaces of the carboy. This was also the case prior to racking and stabilizing. Picking up a rotating the carboy does not help. The carboy in question was the last rack from primary and appears to have more sediment than the first.

Any suggesetions, comments etc are appreciated.

Steve:a1

Is this carboy not filled up enough? Can you post a pic. I see this alot when there is too much headspace in the carboy.

I wish I could post a pick but my camera is trashed. I'll see if I can get my daughters. There is no head space. Both carboy's have the same amount of space...about 1.5" below bung.

DSCF1563.jpg

DSCF1564.jpgHere are the pics. Notice the one on the left is clear and the one on the right has the white haze in question. Both are from the same primary. The one on the left has a little more sediment.

Sure it just isn't sediment caught in the groves of the carboy?

Mine did that before - give a twist back and forth in a circle - if it is - it will fall loose.

Almost looks like a mineral deposit (from hard water)?!? Does that happen in wine?

What is that big ring around the top? It almost looks like the residue from a previous fermentation that wasnt cleaned out good enough? We wash our carboys with soda ash and jet rinse with hot water and then fill them up with water and some distilled white vinegar (no bugs in that to contaminate the wine) to get them spotless before adding any other wine. Crackedcork

I have two 5 gallon secondaries of Muscadine from the same 15 gallon primary. One 5 gallon is clear the other 5 gallon has what appears to be a white powder forming on the inside surfaces of the carboy. This was also the case prior to racking and stabilizing. Picking up a rotating the carboy does not help. The carboy in question was the last rack from primary and appears to have more sediment than the first.

Any suggesetions, comments etc are appreciated.

Steve:a1

I thought the same thing when I saw it myself looks like residue from something earlier made

What is that big ring around the top? It almost looks like the residue from a previous fermentation that wasnt cleaned out good enough? We wash our carboys with soda ash and jet rinse with hot water and then fill them up with water and some distilled white vinegar (no bugs in that to contaminate the wine) to get them spotless before adding any other wine. Crackedcork

Almost looks like soap or somekind of residue? Looks like it was washed and turned upside down to drain. Look at the top ring of the carboy the point is up?? Just mho.

I am usually pretty anal about cleaning equipment. I did just go buy another carboy and racked. I studied the one I racked from and it is pretty badly scractched. I am hoping it is sediment and not something from a previous batch. I just tasted it and it taste a little sour. If I get sick I'll know for sure.

Looks to me like you have been using a no rinse cleaner like B or C Brite and over time it builds up and this is a result.

I did use a no rinse cleaner...Easy Clean. What can I do in the future and what have I done wrong?

Scrub it and use k-meta. Thats a problem with those oxi based cleaners as like soap scum it builds up and you cant see it until you fill it up with something other then the cleaner and everytime you use it it gets worse. Its why I dont use it very often at all except for when i didnt clean the carboy good enough and residue was stuck in there.

Latest posts

Back