White stuff

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tomy

Reaction score
My White grape was not clearing, started 11-18-'07 and 1st racking 11-23, than again 1-2 '08 so I added Sparklloid. A few days later it cleared nicely but left some white stuff on the bottom. It is very flufly like snow. Its now time to rack again, just woundering what this was as never seen it. sorry for quality of picture. Tomy
20080201_093903_white_stuff_002.jpg

Do you mean you didnt rack if off the sparkaloid, it leaves a white fluffy pile on the bottom. Rack off carefully and dont move the bottle around while you are doing it and you are ready to bottle. Crackedcork

I agree with Cracked Cork - it is the Sparkaloid residue along with the stuff it pulled out of the wine to clear it. Rack it off and proceed as you wish- either bottle it or let it sit some more.

No I didn't rack it off the sparklloid (Tomy hangs his head in shame
smiley6.gif
) but I will today. Thanks guys

"Hang down your head, Tom Dooley, Hang down your head and cry..." I feel so musical!
No need for shame. Just rack and then let it sit again. You never know what else could settle.

Thanks PWP I did rack but had to leave a lot of wine in jug, as I didn't want the white flufy stuff in my otherwise nice & clear wine. I will let it set a few days then bottle. Guess I will have to quit using sparklloid as I lose too much wine, guess I will order superclear and use that instead, or use benoitate next time I need it. Most of my wines clear by themselves very nicely. Tomy

Hey Tommy:
I'd be willing to bet that if you'd left it sit a week or two, the fluffy stuff would settle out to a quarter inch of compacted white stuff.
Looks cool though.

Bottled my White Grape 2-2-'08. It came out ok, good enough for my low life wine sucking friends, but not my best work. Tomy
20080209_125251_White_Grape_007.jpg

Latest posts

Back