White Chocolate Port

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

New Kid

Reaction score
Does anyone know why they suggest that you let this port sit for 30 days after stablizing and clearing when it already looks very clear and tastes really fine after two weeks? This RJ Spangols kit recommends 10 days in fermentation until racking and then another 30 days after adding remainder of chemicals and clearing agents before racking a second time and bottling. Being in the south, my kits have completed a little earlier than most of the recommended times, but 30 days after clearing on this one seems excessive. I mean, this port is already really clear. Any words of wisdom? Will there be any major quality difference by aging this extra time in the carboy as opposed to in the bottles? Especially since there is not oak, ect. involved.

This time lets the lees compact better giving you more wine and lessening the chance of disturbing the lees. these ports are more viscous then wines you are used to and fine sediment is kept in suspension linger.

I made this one last year. I let it sit for a couple months after stabilizing. It was amazing what kept settling out, even though it looked clear.

I have this one going right now. I hope it clears. It's way cloudy right now.

Latest posts

Back