whiskey drinker interested in maybe learning somethng new.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am probbaly not the typical person here. :sh

I am mostly a Whiskey drinker, never was into wine, and now I have some interest. plus I would like to learn for the sake of having the knowledge.

normally I drink cherry infused whiskey, or cherry flavored drinks & cherry flavored soda & add whiskey, I even sometimes add cherry flavor to beer. I do love cherry for some reason, & I never was fond of grapes, but would drink grape juice on rare occasion, & remember a few times me & friends had wines I did manage to drink, but I couldnt remember the names if my life depended on it.

anyway, growing up I had tried several wines, but never cared for them, maybe I got wrong ones for me? & I dont try anymore, as I hate to throw money away to buy something I dont like & have to pour it out, I have not met but a couple cheap whiskeys I didnt like.

anyway a friend of mine had been trying to get me to try his home made wine for a long time, & I kept turning him down, anyway he gave me a bottle before he moved at Christmas of Cherry wine, plus a sample of blackberry, & a sample of mulberry, & I really enjoyed them, but thats not something I can just go pick up at local store, and since he moved 300 miles away, I cant go to his house, & try to learn from him now, he did live 15 miles away for the last 20 years that I knew him, so I am here & I do not know anything presently. I did a MR BEER kit many years ago & I did like it, I wouldnt do it again, as it took too much time for what small quantity it made, maybe if I had done something like 5 or more gallons?

I did see some peach wine at store the other day, I almost bought it, I did like peach shine, but havent seen any in years. I doubt if I would add cherry to that. lol. but was unsure if it would taste like peach, or if it was just grape wine flavored, & how it would taste.

Welcome Whiskey! Interesting post, while I can't help you too much, there is a wealth of information on here. I just started a few months ago in much the same situation you are in and searched and learned as much as I could. Started with a kit to get the basics down myself, but it does not seem that is the flavor you are going for. Try a search for cherry wine and I'm sure there will be plenty that comes up. Also, plenty of friendly, knowledgeable people that can help you when you get stuck. Just take notes so you have the information they will need to help you when problems arise. Good Luck and Enjoy!

There is quite a few whiskey drinkers here, besides myself.
I do, never found any wines i cared for..
With an over abundance of blackberrys this year, i made my first wine in march, and loved it.
That was about 115 gallons, are about 550 bottles.
Maybe more, I have lost count.
I have made wine from, blackberrys,strawberrys,cherries,mangos,peaches,grapes,muscandines,mayhaws,mustang grapes, pineapple,apple,mulberrys, and anything in between...
Nuff said....if you want to make wine...read some things on the net, buy a starting kit, figure what taste you would like...and follow a few recipes to get the hang of it...It is very easy, and there is great help here.
Welcome to the forum...

From a lover of Bourbon, welcome to the forum. It is amazing the knowledge you will get here, some of it even about making wine.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Wine Making mobile app

You seem to like cherry and you like things sweet. You could make some cherry port or wine. You will need a basic kit (tools) and ingredients. Go to a local wine or beer supply house and see about a kit or order one on line.

The basic ingredient could be this to make a cherry wine (much easier than using fresh cherries but more expensive)

http://brewandwinesupply.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=20_18_66&product_id=85

Google recipes for cherry wine.

If you gonna make it, make five gallons.

yes, I do like my drinks sweet, and like cherry probably too much.

there isnt any local supply places for beer or wine. so it will mean online, or check bigger cities at least 50 miles or miles away.

thanks for the warm welcome

Welcome Whiskey. I'm a Balvenie single malt girl myself. But I also love wine. I just started the wonderful craft of wine making last summer and I am HOOKED! One of the first batches I made was a black currant from a Vintner's Harvest fruit base. They also make a cherry base and they make either 3 or 5 gallons. I did the 3. You might give it a try. But beware, once you fill a carboy with liquid, they seem to multiply.

Welcome to the forum, I really enjoy my whiskies as well...

Anyways, give winemaking a try, you just like it more than you think.

Back