WineXpert Which Italian wine kit would you pick from these?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Geek, Amarone is a very specific tasting wine. Musty raisin is an important part of it. Good Amarones are usually aged five plus years and not enjoyed for several more. Sangiovese may be an excellent choice, enjoyed within the first couple years.

I'm currently aging a WE Sangiovese and was surprised it is so fruity. It has good body and tannin. I added some oak chips and 1.5 tsp of tannin and increased the SG to 1100. The initial PH was 3.8 so i lowered it to 3.6. I think for the price it is really good. After looking at my notes i thought it had too much tannin from the oak and my little addition so i fined it with gelatin to help remove some tannin.

I'm thinking of getting a kit and want to make a big red italian for the first time, looking for full dark/tasty body, oaky and hopefully to be ready early.

-Sangiovese
-Amarone
-Brunello

Some of you may reply that these italian reds need x time to be ready for drinking (a year?).

I can get Amarone or Brunello style WE Selection International, for about $104 plus shipping (around $22 :slp) and that would make the kit to $126 shipped.
Kind of a bit out of my comfort zone price-wise considering I've been making juice buckets from Chile and California.
Those italian types in juice buckets are $90~$100 per my local HBS when they get them at the end of the year, and there's nothing else except for the juice bucket.

The WE Selection International comes with a grape pack.

Thoughts.........

Quite frankly all 3 are great. I would do the Amarone and Brunello. I get them for $100 plus shipping so it's about the same price. Go for it, you won't be disappointed.

I love Brunello but can't afford the $65-$100 per bottle cost so I made the WE kit. After 3 months bulk aged and 3 months in the bottle this wine is delicious! I just bought another kit because I know this first one won't last very long!

I love Brunello but can't afford the $65-$100 per bottle cost so I made the WE kit. After 3 months bulk aged and 3 months in the bottle this wine is delicious! I just bought another kit because I know this first one won't last very long!

wow, 6 months...and experts recommend at least minimum 1 year and 2 would be better for sure. I don't think mine will last that long...:p

Latest posts

Back