Which bottle to serve at class reunion?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonyt

Reaction score
We are having my 40th high school class reunion this Saturday night at a local bistro. Small Catholic high school, my graduating class was only 86 folks. I have invited all that attend to come by my house for a glass or wine as a pre party. I expect eighteen or twenty to attend. Which bottle should I open for my class of 1972 friends that come by for a glass? Will enough folks show up for the the split, the standard bottle, the magnum, the Jeroboam, or the Imperial? The wine is a blend of Asutralian Petit Verdot, Cabernet Sauvignon and Shiraz and is two and a half years old.

Btw, this isn't an entirely serious question or I would have posted it in General Chit Chat and titled it "Do these bottles really exist?"

bottles.jpg

I know some of the labels say Amarone, they were just bottled and labeled last night and handy for size comparison.

See which ones show up first, might be the unfavorable crowd :)

Otherwise open the large one!!

I think the next to the largest. Also, you may want to have a white ready. Women who don't drink too often are more likely to prefer a white. Or if they are real wimpy, a blush.
That's not me of course, but I married into a very large family and that has been my experience.

We are having my 40th high school class reunion this Saturday night at a local bistro.

1972? The 40th reunion? I guess math was not your class's strong suit? :D

Will enough folks show up for the the split, the standard bottle, the magnum, the Jeroboam, or the Imperial?

Let me ask this: If you don't open the Imperial for this, what would prompt you to open it?

Go for it!

The jeroboam...

We recently opened one for a rehearsal dinner, and for 20 it was just the right amount. I fear that you would not be able to function if you opened the imperial.

1972? The 40th reunion? I guess math was not your class's strong suit? :D

Let me ask this: If you don't open the Imperial for this, what would prompt you to open it?

Go for it!
Good catch Einstein, We are actually horning in on my wife's class of 1973 reunion. 40 for her class and 40+1 for my class. BTW we were high school sweethearts and still are.

Yea y'all know I have to open the Imperial. But I doubt we finish it, this is just the pre-party.

prom.jpg

Last edited:
The jeroboam...

We recently opened one for a rehearsal dinner, and for 20 it was just the right amount. I fear that you would not be able to function if you opened the imperial.

Yea, It's just that the Imperial should be aged better than most of my Double Magnums. And the blend in the Imperial (Australia blend of Petit Verdot, Cabernet and Shiraz) earned a Bronze at Cellarmasters competition in California and that's no small feat for kit wine. I'll have to decide tonight and pull the fork and let something start breathing.

Women who don't drink too often are more likely to prefer a white. Or if they are real wimpy, a blush.

Well most of my friends know not to ask for white wine at my house. I make it for my daughter but I make her take it home with her as soon as it's bottled. :dg

Your point is well taken though.

Yea, It's just that the Imperial should be aged better than most of my Double Magnums. And the blend in the Imperial (Australia blend of Petit Verdot, Cabernet and Shiraz) earned a Bronze at Cellarmasters competition in California and that's no small feat for kit wine. I'll have to decide tonight and pull the fork and let something start breathing.

Well, Just consider this... If this is the 40th anniversary, and you have not seen these people in 40 years, and will not see them again for another 40 years, then why open your best??

Time to break out the Welches!!!! :) :) :)

Well - it depends on the ladies , if they are good looking start with the largest bottle. If they ain't so good looking start with the largest bottle.

Well - it depends on the ladies , if they are good looking start with the largest bottle. If they ain't so good looking start with the largest bottle.

They are one hotter than the other. Mrs. TonyT leading the pack.

So here's how it went down, best I recall. About 16 folks gathered at my house for a glass of wine one hour before we were supposed to be at the restaurant for the official reunion party. I opened the Imperial (8 standard bottles) of Australian blend (Petit Verdot, Cabernet, Shiraz), a bottle each of Nero D'Avola & Chardonnay, two Pinot Gris and a split of Montepulciano. One hour later there was the equivalent two bottles of the Australian blend and 1/2 bottle of Chardonnay. So I offed the Ausie Blend into a magnum and corked it for another day.

imperial.jpg

Geeez,, you sure hang out with party animals. Sounds like it was a success.

Latest posts

Back