Other Which big red?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knockabout

Reaction score
I have read the winemaker top 100 list but I'd rather have the advice of those here on the forum...

I am doing an oak experiment so I can taste the different types of oak and oak blends. I am going to order 2 kits and break them down into gallons for aging with different oaks/oak blends into 1 gallon batches. i wanna make sure my 60 bottles of wine are great. I'd love to know your opinions on the following kits which I have narrowed my choices down to...

Cellar craft red mountain cab
Eclipse Lodi ranch 11 cab
Rjs en primeur Spanish cab
Rj spangols winemakers series trio (cab, Syrah,Zin blend)
Cellar craft chateau du pays

Appreciate any thoughts, comments.
Cheers!

Last edited:
Winemaker's Trio. Since it's brand new, your experiment will help us know how to best oak it when we get around to making it. My second choice would be the CC Chateau Du Pays. The first two cabs on your list have both been done quite thoroughly. The EP's are rumored to take a long time to come around, like two years plus.

Winemaker's Trio

i second this one so when i get around to making mine, i can use your feedback

cheers

I would not consider the Chateau du Pays as that is not a big red by any means. It is a Rhone blend that is only lightly oaked (at best). I would seriously consider the CC Showcase Cabernet/Merlot from WA State.

Last edited:
Well, this is not really fully independent: Mike (ibglowin) turned me on to the Walla Walla Cab/Merlot blend. It is outstanding. Again, young and at bottling time, I liked it even more than the Red Mountain Cab by a smidge.

Well, this is not really fully independent: Mike (ibglowin) turned me on to the Walla Walla Cab/Merlot blend. It is outstanding. Again, young and at bottling time, I liked it even more than the Red Mountain Cab by a smidge.

Based on his recommendation I also have that one in mind when budget and price is right, cannot wait to get my hands on it...:D :wy

Thanks for the input guys. We ordered the winemakers trio Syrah Zin cab x2 kits for the oak experiment and will post results. I ordered the red mountain cab too just because I realllly was sure I need it!

Latest posts

Back