When to pitch energizer/nutrient

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcteague

Reaction score
How long do you wait before you decide to toss some energizer/nutrient for the yeast if the initial fermentation doesn't start? I've seen posts where the initial fermentation can take a couple days to launch, but wonder if there's a point where you just toss something in to get it going.

Depends on what you are making. If it's not a kit wine, you probably should add some nutrient before the yeast is ever pitched and nutrient about 1/3 through fermentation. Your energizer, nutrient instructions and your recipe should tell you.

I agree with Robie, if you are making anything other than a kit, add the first 1/2 to 1 tsp of yeast nutrient when fermentation starts, then the same amount the following two days. Fermentation is the "strongest" the first three days, this will help to avoid a few stinky issues.
Yeast energizer is usually added prior to fermentation.
Yeast Hydrating nutrient is added during yeast hydration.

No kit, one of the online recipes I adapted which didn't call for either nutrient or energizer. It appears to be fermenting at this point so I think I'm good. I was just curious how long you would wait before you would think its not taking off.

dcteague said:
No kit, one of the online recipes I adapted which didn't call for either nutrient or energizer. It appears to be fermenting at this point so I think I'm good. I was just curious how long you would wait before you would think its not taking off.

I doubt lack of nutrient is preventing fermentation.

Warm up your juice. If its acidic, make a yeast starter. Or just wait. Sometimes it just takes a few days.

Latest posts

Back