when good wines gone bad

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Super tuscan

not sure why the yields were about 4 bottles low ,it could be do to the fact that i started at the 6 gallon mark with the fpac included and not entering it after the addition of water,but my results were very good as far as taste and texture though,it could also be do to the use of the belly band i get a higher rate of boil off,not sure ,but what i,m sure of is the end product.IT ACTUALLY CONCENTRATED THE FLAVOR. will send you a bottle if you would like?

IMG_20150805_185013411.jpg

joeswine:
This is a new hobby for me, I'm on my 17th kit, and pretty well hooked. My engineering education and I guess just the way I'm wired makes me a reader, note taker and process follower. My dad collects fine wines from around the world and has a cellar with several thousand bottles and I get to drink some incredible wines, made in the "traditional ways" (no tweaking). That's the direction my wine making style was headed in.

Over the last few weeks, intrigued by your postings, I undertook a study of "when good wines gone bad" and "thinking outside the box", reading, studying and taking notes. Read through all 5 + years of posts, saw threads from those who disagree with your methods, some very rudely. Doubtful, but experimenting with a cheap kit while reading I did an Orchard Breezin Peach kit, tweaking along the way. Switched yeast, added the kit F Pack in primary, boosted the SG to 1.10 with simple syrup, used raisins. Made a peach F Pack, zested and sweetened before bottling. Never did any of that before. Had way more fun than any other kit I've done, have people begging me for a bottle. You're spot on.

So now I have a tool box, but still haven't used a lot of the tools, but intend to. Why shouldn't I make my wines as good as they can be, regardless of the methods? Heck, if I could dump a magic powder into my wine to make it perfect for me, I would.

About to start an Eclipse Yakima Pinot Gris, got yeast, golden raisins, simple syrup, and zesting tool on hand.

Anyway, just wanted to say thanks for your years of posts and for sharing all that you have learned. I'm sure I'll screw up some wine, but I'm going to have a good time doing it!

Finished reading all pages!
Amazing pictures :)

I have my first blackberry wine must fermenting away (50hours in).
I was initially following a rather simple youtube guide but reading and researching kept leading me to new questions.
Although my guide didn't call for it, I wanted to add bentonite and oak chips.
After watching your thread, I decided I DEFINITELY want to add bentonite and oak chips.

Its been 50hours in the fermentation process, can I add this now?

when good wines gone bad

Its been 50hours in the fermentation process, can I add this now?

I've added bentonite at the beginning, after fermentation and also a few days in. I've read on here people adding it on the 3rd day of ferm on everything.

When good wines gone bad

REPLYS: JOHND;YES SOME HAVE NOT AGREED WITH ME AND THAT'S OK THEY HAVE A RIGHT TO AND SO DO I,BUT I PRACTICE WHAT I PREACH AND I KNOW WHAT WORKS WITH KIT'S AND FRESH JUICE THAT'S WHERE I STARTED,IT PAYS TO THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX,JUST AS THERE ARE COUNTLESS ARTISAN BREWERY'S OUT THERE AND COUNTLESS TYPES OF WINES YOU CAN MAKE INSTEAD OF THE OLD BORING STANDBYS. ALL THAT'S REQUIRED IS YOUR IMAGINATION AND WITH THE CORRECT PROFILE AND ENHANCERS TO MAKE YOUR IMAGE COME TRUE,SOMETIMES, NOT ALWAYS WHAT YOU EXPECTED IT TO BE ,BUT THEN THERE'S ALWAYS THE NEXT TIME.:br..THANKS FOR YOUR COMMENTS AND THAT'S A LOT OF READING!:d BY THE WAY DON'T ADD RAISINS TO THE GRIS JUST THE ZEST(GRAPEFRUIT) AND BUMP UP THE ABV. TO 1.10 TO START.IF YOUR CAN MAKE A WHITE GRAPE FPAC FOR IT.
JH0330:ALWAYS START THE PROCESS WITH THE BENTONITE IN THE PRIMARY,NOT THE SECONDARY, IT AIDS WITH THE FERMENTATION AND STARTS THE PRIMARY FINING PROCESS,GETS YOU OFF TO A QUICK AND CLEAN START.

joeswine, I intend to add the bentonite in primary, but am curious about the white grape f-pack. The first pinot gris I made was a Mosti Mondiale All Juice, it came golden raisins for use in the primary. Any thoughts there?? Probably the only white grapes I can get down here are going to be store bought white grapes, will those do?? If so, how many pounds would you recommend? I assume you'd put the f-pack in at the time of clearing / fining / kms / sorbate additions??

Adding the fpac

YES YOU CAN USE THOMPSON SEEDLESS OR THE WHITSH ONES YOU SEE AT THE LOCAL STORE (1LB. OR SO) JUST SAUTÉ THEM DOWN GENTLY WITH A LITTLE WHITE WINE OF YOUR CHOICE ADD THEM TO THE PRIMARY ALONG WITH THE BENTONITE AND YEAST THAT'S WHERE THEY WILL BE MOST BENEFICIAL TO YOUR WINES MIX. THEN WHEN YOU MOVE TO THE SECONDARY (DEGAS) ADD THE ZEST OF 1/2 GRAPE FRUIT,LET IT SET TWO WEEKS THEN RACK AND CLEAR. :pic THE FINISH SHOULD BE CRISP AND CLEAN WITH A NICE BITE TO IT,THAT'S THE GRAPEFRUIT ADDING JUST A TOUCH OF ACIDITY TO THE MIX.NOW YOU HAVE A FPAC AT THE READY OR VACUMNE SEAL AND FREEZE FOR LATER,GOT IT!

1.jpg

2A.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

Last edited:
Black berry port stage one

WERE NEARRING THE BOTTLING STAGE OF THIS PORT SO I WOULD LIKE TO REVISIT THE FLOW BEFORE WE CONTINUE....IT'S A LONG ONE BE PATIENT>:pic THREE STAGES..

1 (2).jpg

1.jpg

1a.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

6a.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

Black berry port phase three

THIS WILL BE ANOTHER (BEST OF SHOW) WHEN IT'S AGED .

1. BLACK BERRY PORT: THIS KIT HAS ALL THE PROPERITIES OF THE COFFE AND CARAMEL WINE PORT KITS THE DIFFERENCE IS IT’S A WINE EXPERTS AND NOT A CRU...ALL THE SAME PLAYERS ARE INVOLVED, HERE IS WHAT ARE CHANGES WILL BE:

1. CAPITOLIZE WITH SIMPLE SYRUP RATHER THAN, THEIR DEXTROUSE IS EQUAL TO 1 QUART OF SIMPLE SYRUP.
2. THE ADDITION OF OUR OWN FRESH BLACKBERRY FPAC TO THE SECONDARY

3. THE ADDITION OF 1 TABLE SPOON OF WINE TANNINSTO THE SECONDARY FOR BALANCE PHASE 2: CAPITALIZATION, ONE QUART OF SIMPLE SYRUP AT THIS POINT DO NOT RACK LET THE YEAST AND SYRUP WORK TOGETHER FOR AT LEAST 3 TO 4 DAYS,STILL IN A OPEN BUCKET,BE READY TO MOVE TO GLASS BY THEN.

4. WE REMOVED THE PORT FROM THE BUCKET AND HAD MORE THEN NEEDED BY ½ GALLON .AFTER EXTRACTION OF SOME SO I COULD WORK THE PORT AND ADD THE CHEMS AND FINING AGENT AND GIVE AGOOD STIR, I WAS ABLE TO TOP OFF WITH THE BASE PORT LEFT OVERS, WITH THE ½ GALLON LEFT I WILL MAKE A BLACK BERRY CELLO., NOW WILL LET TIME WORK ON THE PRODUCT IT TASTED EXCELLENT AT THIS STAGE IT CAN ONLY GET BETTER…
.....FOLLOW THE FLOW :try....

18.jpg

18a.jpg

19.jpg

21.jpg

21a.jpg

21b.jpg

21c.jpg

21d.jpg

22.jpg

23.jpg

Last edited:
Today I degassed and racked the super Tuscan following Joe's tweaks and boy does it taste good. Tannins are sharp but it's only 4 weeks old. It will go into the barrel around September 1st to age for a few months. Thanks to Joe this will be a "best of show" wine.

Super tuscan

CHEFKEN:THANKS FOR THE THOUGHTS AND AS ALWAYS KEEP (THINKING OUTSIDE THE BOX).:D

johnt: you are a pro at this hobby and can (think outside the box), I know I've tasted your product..yours jp...:br

Port wine kits

HERE ARE SOME EXCELLENT EXAMPLES OF PORT WINE KITS TO MAKE AND THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX WITH.........................:wy...ALL ARE VERY ADAPTABLE TO YOU TASTE AND ACHOLO LEVELS SWEET OR DRY...YOUR THE BOSS....:i

1 (2).jpg

1 ingridients.jpg

1.jpg

Sangiovese the prince of italian reds

SANGIOVESE IS ONE OF MY FAVORITE RED WINES FOLLOW MY FLOW AND SEE WHAT YOU THINK..:br
ITS A LONG ONE............

1 Our Kit.jpg

2 Preparation.jpg

3 The type of yeast.jpg

4 Add half gal  of hot water.jpg

5 bentonite.jpg

6 stirring bentonite.jpg

7 Open juice.jpg

8 Dump juice in.jpg

9 add half gal to bag.jpg

10 Top up with another gal spring water to 6 gal.jpg

MORE TO COME STAY THE COURSE...........:d BALANCE TO FOLLOW.....GO BACK AND READ THE ENTIRE FLOW TO THIS POINT...:br

20 good stir (480x640).jpg

21 headspace.jpg

22 SG reading.jpg

23 Nitrogen.jpg

24 Wrap with towel.jpg

moving into the final phases of this out standing wine.

Ferrari Bottle filler.jpg

filling the bottles.jpg

dip in boiling water.jpg

fitting the seal onto the bottle.jpg

funnel.jpg

ingredients n tools.jpg

sanitized bottles.jpg

labeled (1).jpg

taste before bottling (1).JPG

wine line.jpg

:try

GO BACK AND REVIEW THE SANGIOVESE PROCESS.:try:mny:try:br:mny:spm:hug:tz:pic:):spm:mny:try

Back