when good wines gone bad

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Black current desert wine

GO BACK AND REVIEW THE PROCESS FOR THIS BLACKCURRENT WINE..:mny

Coffee port

WHERE GOING TO MAKE A FOURTH COFFEE PORT KIT, BUT BEFORE I PROCEED LETS REVIEW WHAT I DID LAST TIME,THIS KIT AND THE TWEAKS HAVE WON ME MANY AN AWARD AND BEST OF SHOWS SO FOLLOW THE FLOW...........:br

1 Ingridients.jpg

2 open bag.jpg

3 dump bag in.jpg

4 rinse bag and add to bucket.jpg

5 not quite 3 gal we topped up.jpg

6 bentonite.jpg

7 add tannin.jpg

8 sg reading.jpg

9 ph reading.jpg

12or Port Racking (1).jpg

Coffee port continued

DID YOU NOTICE THE INSTANT COFFEE THIS CREATES A DEEP RICH COFFEE FLAVOR AND AGES EXCELLENT WITH A HINT OF CHOCOLATE ON THE BACK SIDE ,GOOD BODY FROM THE TANNINS,FOLLOW THE FLOW.........:br

Cru Coffee Port Kit

The box includes the following:
· Large bag of juice
· 2 packs of Lavin EC-1118
· 1 Coffee Port F-Pack
· Package of bentonite
· Package of Metabisulphite
· Package of Potassium Sorbate
· Package of each Chitosan-D2 and kiesesol-D1(Fining Agents)

Our additions:
· Oak Tannin (Tannic Acid)
· Instant Coffee
· Spring Water

Tools you will need:
· Primary Fermenter (minimum 30 Litres/7.9 US gallons capacity)
· Long stirring spoon (Plastic or stainless steel)
· Measuring cup
· Hydrometer and test jar
· Thermometer
· Wine thief
· Siphon rod and hose
· Carboy (3 US gallon capacity)
· Bung and Air lock
· Solid Bung (if you are bulk aging)
· Unscented winemaking detergent for cleaning (we recommend One-step or any other oxygenating cleaner, including Kmet....JUST NOT BLEACH!)
· Metabisulphite Powder for sanitizing
· 15 wine bottles, 15 corks , 15 seals
· Corking machine (there are various types, we use an Italian floor corker.)

The Process:
· As always, sanitize anything that comes in contact with the wine. Including yourself.
· Add the large juice package. (Be careful, it’s heavy!) Rinse this out with a little bit of spring water to make sure you get it all.
· We have our bucket measured to 3 gallons. The kit didn’t quite come to 3 gallons so we topped up until we reach 3 gallons.
· Add the bentonite and give it a good stir.
· Then add the oak tannin, stir, and then take your SG reading. It should read 1.10.
· We then took a PH test and it read 4.0. Typically, it should be around 3.5.
· Finally, we pitched the yeast, made up a tag, and covered it up to rest.

After it ferments dry: (Approx. 2 weeks)
  • After it fermented dry (SG: 0.98) we racked it into our secondary, 3 gallon fermentation carboy.
  • We had to take out approx. 1.5 wine bottles of wine out of the carboy so that we will have room for the coffee F-pack. We set that aside with an air-lock. If when we rack the wine again and we come up short and have extra air-space, we will add it.
  • We checked the ph of the wine and it is at 3.5 which is perfect for this type of port.
  • We added the sorbate, K-met packet, and gave it a good stir.
  • Next, we added packet #1 (of the 2 packet combination) of Kieselsol and set our time for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes, we add packet #2 of Kieselsol and stirred again. (Learning tip: The reason for the 5 minute wait time is you are waiting for the molecules from packet #1 to bind to certain molecules in the wine. The second packet will bind to the molecules in the first packet and then the clearing process starts. (Positive and negative particles will attract, become heavy, and fall to the bottom of the carboy, taking the sediment with it.)
  • Next, we added the Coffee F-Pak. Note: Not all of the F pack fit into my 3-gallon carboy. I should have taken out possibly 2 bottles of extra wine instead of 1.5. I put the extra F-pak in the refrigerator. When I rack this again to a final mixing bucket I will add everything to the bucket and give it a good stir.

13.jpg

Coffee Port First Place - Copy (2).jpg

Last edited:
Super tuscan

THE KING OF ITALIAN REDS TO SOME, A TASTE TREAT FOR THE TASTE BUDS.FOLLOW THE PROCESS.:i

1.jpg

1A.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

8a.jpg

8a1.jpg

Super tuscan continued

:dTHIS IS A LONG ONE ,BE PATIENT AND FOLLOW THE FLOW.I'M GOING TO STOP AT THIS POINT AND LET YOU DIGEST SOME OF THIS BEFORE I CONTINUE.

8b.jpg

8c.jpg

9.jpg

9a.jpg

10.jpg

10a.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

12a.jpg

13.jpg

Black current desert wine

this turn out so dense ,velvet mouthfeel with excellent taste as well .,yield was 15 bottles ........would do this one again..........................:hb

Diablo rojo

talk about great this will be my next best of show....follow the tweaks..:hb

DIABLO ROJO; THIS OFF, DRY AND DARK PURPLE IN COLOR BLEND ,NOISE OF BLACKBERRY JAM MINGLED WITH CREATIVE VANILLA AROMAS AND A TOUCH OF TOBACCO AND A BRANDY STYLE FINISH YET IT IS A WINE ALL THE WAY.

SOUNDS LIKE MOUTHFUL. WHERE GONNA MAKE IT JUST THAT. OUR TWEAKS TO THIS KIT WILL BE AS FOLLOWS.

WERE GOING TO CHANGE THE YEAST ,TWO EC 1118 THIS IS DUE TO THE TEMPERATURE FLUCTUATIONS IN OUR WORKSPACE. SECONDLY, GOING TO ADD A SMOKED WOODEN STAVE ALONG WITH OAK TANNINS IN THE SECONDARY. WE ARE GOING TO USE A BELLY BAND DUE TO THE TEMPERATURE IN OUR WORKSPACE. THE OAK STAVE WILL GO IN THE PRIMARY, THE OAK TANNINS WILL GO IN THE SECONDARY AND LONG WITH A HANDFUL OF FRESH BLACKBERRIES JUST SQUEEZED. THIS IS A DIFFERENT KIND OF FPAC JUST A HANDFUL OF BERRIES. NOTHING TO OVERPOWER
BERRIES. NOTHING TO OVERPOWER NOTHING TO OVERWHELM JUST A TOUCH OF BLACKBERRY DEPTH. REMEMBER, THIS IS STILL A ROJO AND THE STYLE IS BOLD AND FRUITY. WE MAY ALSO BRING UP THE ABV. TO 1.14. THIS ONE SHOULD TURN OUT TO BE A MOUTHFUL... FOLLOW THE FLOW..

FINISH; great flavor fruits and woods intertwined medium body and smooth finish. If I WOULD HAVE CHANGED ANYTHING IT WOULD BOOSTED UP THE PH A LITTLE MORE.

1.jpg

3.jpg

4 (2).jpg

4a.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

Last edited:
Neibiolo a cousin to sangiovese

YOU SEE WITH ITAILIAN WINES IT'S ALL ONE BIG WINO FAMILY..:HB..BY USING A CHEAPEER KIT IF YOU LEARN HOW TO THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX AND BECOME YOUR OWN WINE CHEF YOU CAN CREATE A VERY GOOD EVERY DAY WINE WITH OUT THE HUGE EXPENSE.FOLLOW THE FLOW........................:db

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

8a.jpg

9.jpg

Neibbiolo continued

it's all in the family..the flow continues:hb

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

12a.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

14a.jpg

15.jpg

15 (2).jpg

Last edited:
nebbiolo CONTINUED

moving down the line we've come to a point when degassing and racking along with the chems and finding agents take their roll in the process.

14b (2).jpg

14c.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

pinot

Joe can you help me with any suggestions of a good pinot grigio 30 bottle kit. This will be my first time making wine.

pino grigio

It all depends on your budget, to me the brand really isn't the first concern, you can always make a inexpensive kit good and a better kit even better, where would you like to start?

Amarone the king of italian reds

:HB:HBmy version of the great Italian red....follow the flow:HB:HB:HB:HB:HB:HB:HB:HB:HB

phase 1 in the beginning...theirs a lot to this one be patient..

Amarone Box.jpg

Box Contents.jpg

Chitosan.jpg

Hungarian Oak.jpg

Kmeta bentonite sorbate.jpg

Labels they provided.jpg

Lalvin RC212 Yeast.jpg

Real Crushed Grapes Label.jpg

Amarone the king of italian reds

phase 2...of many it takes a little planning to take a decent kit to become a very good wine, follow the flow and we will continue later...okay?:db

1b bentonite.jpg

2 add juice.jpg

4 stir.jpg

5 grape bag.jpg

6 rinse grape bag.jpg

7 SG.jpg

8 adding yeast (2).jpg

9 Oak.jpg

10 the mix.jpg

11 makes 6 gals.jpg

Last edited:
Back